whats the difference??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rekesbass, Nov 18, 2002.

1. whats the differecne between the EHX Dr.Q,miniQ and the bassballs...don't they all do the same thing??? and which one is more versitile...I'm lookin for a inexpensive(as opposed to cheap...no boss or dod,tried'em...don't like'm)env.fil. I once owned a russian bassbals r.i.that was very cool but I was wondering what the differences are between the three...
  2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    The Dr Q has a single filter; the Bassballs has two filters in parallel tuned to slightly different frequencies (hence the 'vowel' type effect). Not sure about the mini-Q. For both you can control the sensitivity to your playing (obviously); the Dr Q has a switch to toggle between two slightly different filter 'modes' and the Bassballs has the fuzz swith (which is fairly useless unless you can set the sensitivity control such that the bypassed and engaged volumes are about equal).

I'd say the Bassballs would more useful, but neither this pedal nor the Dr Q would fall into the 'versatile' category (IMHO).

3. thanks for the reply Prophecybass..I did'nt really mean "versatile" as much as I meant more tweakable...so the dr.q is more of a basic ev.fil.(say like the dodfx25?)and the bassballs is kind of a one trick pony with a really good trick... I used to have a bassballs and I know what that does and was tryin to get some kinda comparison between that and the dr.q....I can add dist. but I would like to have a regular ev.fil. sound as well...