whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pesticle, Dec 17, 2002.

1. what is the difference between a monitor and a speaker cab?
    sorry if thats a stupid question but i was looking at cheap speakers and they have

and http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...4654622/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/609000/

for the same price... are they different? or is one just wedge shaped..... im running it off a powered mixer to sing through... which should i get? (i'd be getting 2 of whichever i get)
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I didn't read them in detail, but if they have the same components in the same size (internal box) they will sound about the same.

Monitors are typically designed to sit flatter on the floor and throw sound into your face. You can achieve the same result by dropping the normal shaped cabinet so it leans back in the top of a milk crate. Monitors are a little harder to pack since they don't stack as well.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Check with the store but they are usually the same. But most monitors and PA speakers have a cut-off somewhere around 100hz coz they're designed to be used with seperate subs. You may not get enough bottom end out of these. Again check with the store.

I went to the trouble of building my own bass wedge coz I couldn't find anything from the conventional bass speaker manufacturers. I finished it just in time for Eden to release their 2x10 bass wedge. Bugger. Hey I had fun building it........ :)