Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Apr 14, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i am looking into buying a good j bass, I now own a feder mex and want a better quality bass, i am partial to fender japan(i have a 87 p/j bass) but dont want the GEDDY LEE model(they rock! but i prefer a color other than black)my question is what is the difference between the MIA fender jazz(passive p/ups) and the new US. HIGHWAY 1 basses? i know they dont have a string through body bridge but other than that i dont know else is different, plus they are only 600.00$ new, give or take a couple of dollars, any idea's out there?
    thanks people:D
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I know the finish is different on those, it is a transparent one. That is the only difference that I know of anyway.
  3. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    They are both made in America, but I've heard from many people that the parts are cheaper.
  4. I haven't played one, but, it's probably safe to say there's less attention to detail on the Highway 1s. With their price right between the MIMs and the American standards, we shall soon see if they're worth it just because they're made in the U.S.

5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes it will be MIA but without the finish of any other Fenders you know with the exception of the highway one strat. It will not have a graphite reinforced neck, straplocks. stb or come with a case to name a few. The finish is transparent and almost locks like a deep water color with no gloss. It is called satin lacquer.I am waiting to play one myself.
  6. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    thanks people, i knew the differences were few i just did'nt know what they were
  7. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Marcus Miller Artist is a MIJ with passive/active option.. its a pretty sweet bass
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The Highway 1 doesnt have the string thru option, and appears to have the cheaper MIM tuners.
  9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    According to this, it will have both a graphite reinforced neck and string through:

Highway 1 Jazz
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Theres two Highway 1 J Basses they show in that link, and neither is a string thru. Perhaps they haent come out with that yet, or they made a typo.

I do know the Hwy 1 P that I played wasnt string thru.
  11. note also the basses in the pic have the trussrod access at the headstock, which suggests to me that there's no graphite reinforcement (US standards/deluxes with graphite reinforcement have the trussrod access at the body).

they look like American-made versions of the MIM.
    like the California series of a few years ago.