1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by f.c.geil, Aug 6, 2012.

1. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    What's the difference between using a dedicated DI, such as a REDDI, and the DI on an amp, such as an SVT-7PRO? Am I just stupid, or is it the same thing as simply running an amp without a cab? Okay, maybe it's not an either/or situation...

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    most amp DI's have a 'pre/post' option which allows you to include the singnal processing of the preamp section.

3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I realize that, I guess I wasn't clear. What I'm asking is I hear that a lot of people are getting rid of their amps and going to a DI/IEM setup. I'm thinking about going that route, but wonder if there's any reason to get a DI rather than just using my amp without a cab.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The two main reasons to use an external DI box are:
    --as backup if your amp dies at a gig;
    --if your amp's DI doesn't have the tone you want going to the PA or recording desk.

For example if you want a "miked tube amp" sound going into the PA and you have a clean solid-state amp onstage just as a personal monitor, or you use IEMs, then you'd probably choose a REDDI or BDDI.

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Okay, in my situation, I'm going to switch to IEMs, so do I switch to a BDDI/REDDI or stick with my current amp and just eliminate the cab?

6. I think the biggiest thing that you would have to find out is how well is the xlr out on your amp and then compare it to a reddi or sansamp.

But I assume that some people would say that the whole, "these boxes were designed just for this purpose", would make them lean towards them.

7. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Using an amp without a cab/load on the head could fry it.

Another reason is sometimes amp DI's can cause ground loop hums. If hum won't stop using ground lift on amp or it has no grd lift, going to a DI box is next. If that's still a prob I plug the XLR into a mic.

Never know what you'll get from venue to venue with wiring/ground issues.

Some amp DI's are mic level, some line level, some pre EQ, some post EQ, some switchable pre/post. If there is no clip indicator on the pre amp level, there is potential to have it set to high therefore sending distortion to the mixer.

Your eq settings might sound fine on stage with your bass cab(s) but too much for the folded horn subs in the venue that reproduce bass more efficiently and don't need the eq boost you're using on your amp.

Also the sound guy just gets a good mix dialed in with your amp DI. Then you tweak your EQ or adjust your preamp level. Then the sound guy is constantly adjusting channel input level every time you tweak it.

DI box before amp. None of those issues.

As a bass player it's a good idea to have a backup DI or Mic.