Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the difference??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonasp, Jun 25, 2003.

1. I looked in the forums and couldn't find anything. So...what's the deifference between Fender basses and Squier basses? They look the same, just have a different name. I'm sure the Fenders are better quality. But, they also cost much more. Are there any real differences?

Should I save my money to get an actual Fender Jazz Bass, or go with the Squier? Or should I go with the Essex Jazz?

Thanks a lot!

2. Differences? yes. Many.

Think of the Squier as a chevy, and the Fender as... say... a Volvo. Yes, the squier will work, and it's a great first bass. Absolutely wonderful for a beginner, Squier basses are cheaper because, of course, they are composed of cheaper parts. They don't sound TOO wonderful either (not that its nearly as bad as a comparably priced.... well, a comparably priced anything else). If you plan on becoming a serious player, go for the real thing. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Many people buy squiers with the intention of modifying them. I did this, but backwards. My squier was my first bass, and now that I've gotten a REAL bass, I plan on modifying the crud out of my squier. New bridge, pickups, maybe even a jazz neck. :bassist:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you better take that back. Don't insult my chevy. Chevy cars, they suck, but they work(some of the time). But if you compare chevy trucks to volvos, it's apples and oranges. Be more specific. You might get some rednecks knockin at yer door soon, buddy..:D :p :rolleyes:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't trash Chevy's...I'm getting this one:
    [​IMG]

It's going to kick your Volvo's ass when I drop in the 454 big block :p

Anyway, it's less better or worse, it's more consistency that is an issue. With a MIM Fender, you have about a 10% chance of finding a jem, while a Squier is roughly 5%. Step up to a MIJ Fender and you might be around 20 or 30%, you're not going to get any real consistency until you're spending around $700-800 on something made in the states by any manufacturer.

I have a $375 Ibanez SR400 that is better in my opinion than any $2000 Gibson I've played, better than every new Fender I've played, and is only surpassed by my Stingray in quality. Lucky me, I found a gem. :D

5. What's the difference between a stereo made in China and one made in Japan?

The thing you have to understand is the differences are those you cannot see so well. Sure it might look the same, but it's not. The quality control is worse, the woods are worse, the electronics are worse, everything is worse pretty much.

If you asked me whether my $250 Squire (CAD) is 10x good as my $2500 Stingray5 (CAD again) I would say hell no, but you are definitely paying for the quality you get. As a beginner most don't notice it, but as you're definitely gonna notice when you actually play for a while.