Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the diffrence betweeen a 4string a 5,6,7,8string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpowellg, Jun 26, 2001.

1. jpowellg

jpowellg

Jun 26, 2001
    im thinking about buying a bass guitar and i was wondering whats the diffrence between how many strings you get put on your guitar

2. Well, you could have this:
    [​IMG]

or this:
    [​IMG]

The bottom one is a) Harder to handle, b) Much more expensive, and c) Carries mullet requirements;)

Honestly, the differences are the playability and theory involved. A 4 string bass will never go out of fashion, and is therefore a great instrument to start with. 5 strings are more common nowadays, especially in rock and metal. 6 strings are used a lot by solo artists, and very alternative music. 7+, is well, unneccessary(;))...

Go with a 4. They'll always work for ya.

3. There's a whole crap-load of difference.
    1. A 5-string bass has a low B string. It comes in use when you don't want to tune down your E string, cause the B has low D and low C right on the fretboard for ya (just another way to be lazy).
    2. The 6-string bass has the B string AND a high C string, which is tuned higher than the G.
    3. The 7-string bass has low B, high C, and high F (don don don)!!!
    4. The 8-string bass is like a 12-string guitar. It has smaller and higher tuned strings between each original string. A good rhapsody bass.

You won't find a whole lotta' use for the 6-,7-, and 8-string basses, but the 5-string is being used a lot more these days by a lot of rock bassists (i.e. Sam Rivers, John Myung, me ;), etc).

4. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Generally a four string bass is tuned EADG. A five string generally tuned BEADG. One string lower. For the rest, it would be best if you went to a salsperson and asked, its easier to understand when you hear it from someone in person.

5. jpowellg

jpowellg

Jun 26, 2001
    thanx people that is really gonna help me to decide what to get. thanx

6. I just hope John Turner doesn´t read this!! ;)

8 string basses are often like you said... but are also often tuned with 8 different strings... go down to F# :eek:

and there are also 9 and 10 string basses with individual tunings for each string...

and then there´s the 3 string... and 1 string.... :)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And the 2 string, and the 12 string, and the 15 string, and the 18 string. How long until John Turner gets a 24 string(8 string with 2 octave strings per root string)?;):p:eek:

Seriously, go play 4, 5, 6 and 7 string basses, and then decide which one is right for you.

As far as 7, 8 and 9 stringers, there are several ways to tune them, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

For example, lets look at the 8 string, the one with 8 individual strings.

You could tune it BEADGCFBb, or if you want that extra low range, you could go F#BEADGCF, or if you wanted to play chords on the highest strings with guitar type voicings available, you could tune it F#BEADGBE.

The possibilities are endless, but I am sure that most 8 stringers use one of those 3 tunings.