whats the diffrence between a graphic eq and tone controls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Jul 14, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey fellow bass players whats the diffrence between a graphic eq and tone controls. I used to think they where the same thing. but I see amps that have them both.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Just different ways of doing the same thing. A graphic EQ consists of a series of sliders, while "regular" EQs are knobs. In the end, they're both doing the same thing, taking frequencies out or putting some more in.

Although, graphic EQs can have more than 30 sliders for a _lot_ of control, usually more than most people need for a bass amp, though there are some that use them. Tone controls go from the simple "Bass" "Mid" "Hi" controls to semi-parametric, parametric, etc.

pic: Graphic EQ
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

As always, start here: http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq/

Tone controls on bass amps can be fixed Q bandpass (like a graphic), fixed or variable shelving (low pass, high pass), notch, or a few other more esoteric possibilities (contour, timbre, presence, elliptical, et al). A parametric EQ can potentially do more or less any of those functions, although many don't offer all of them.

One common use for two EQ sections like you're talking about is to use one for your basic tone, and the other to compensate for room acoustics.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Read this months Bass Player magazine. It has an article about this very subject.
  5. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I used to have a problem understanding parametric EQs.The graphic EQ is kind of a cool multi-freq. adjuster that shows you the freq. you are adjusting. You can find amp heads with as many as 12 different freqs. to adjust. Like low, mid, high wasn't good enough. But the parametric is a target-freq./width-of-effect tool that does the same thing only you don't have to set as many sliders. You pick the freq. you want to change, how much you want to change it and how broad you want this change to be applied. It is like picking what size paintbrush you want to use. To be honest, the low, mid, high tone pots on your axe or your head are just non-variable width parametrics. Shields UP! IMHO