1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What's the dumbest reason you did/didn't get a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WhoopingHonky, Mar 5, 2021.

1. WhoopingHonky

WhoopingHonky

Jun 8, 2019
    Just ordered up an MXR M85 Distortion the other day, after days of deliberating. I came to a realization on the only actual reason I hadn't ordered it already...

It was red.

Everything else on my board was either black, silver, or navy blue, and I realized the fact that it would just be a single blotch of maroon on what is otherwise and entirely accidentally color coordinated board bothered me.

Anyone else have something completely trivial influence a purchasing decision on a pedal?

2. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Believe me I’m debating getting a pedal rehoused because it’s blue. So you’re not alone

3. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Based on positive reviews and videos, I was very tempted to pick up a JHS Whitey Tighty compressor for my pedalboard.

But as a 60+ yr old who mostly plays in P&W situations these days, I felt awkward showing up to church with a pedal adorned with the image of white jockey shorts on it. LOL. I guess I could've covered it with tape, but I went with the EQD The Warden instead. (when I'm not using the even more mundane Fairfield Circuitry The Accountant.)

westrock likes this.
  4. WhoopingHonky

WhoopingHonky

Jun 8, 2019
    If your church is anything like mine, just cover it in the camo duct tape, you won't have anyone bat an eye.

bassboysam likes this.
  5. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    As a former graphic designer, I could never bring myself to buy a Surfybear reverb pedal because of the incorrect letter spacing in the humongous name.
    I just bought a kit and I'll be building my own, no typographic nightmares.

6. The looks of many EHX pedals made me not to buy them. I know the EHX Bass Clone is what I need but...

old_skool, crguti and theunknowndude like this.
  7. I actually don’t mind it that much... someone changes it to purple knobs and it actually looked pretty good.

I haven’t let anything but sound stop me buying a pedal BUT if I could I’d get every pedal as black or silver...

There was someone’s board from a few years ago (I think changed a lot now ) but had about 12 pedals of all of them black or silver and it just made the board look so evil in a good way!

javi_bassist likes this.
  8. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Any pedal with blinding lights.

NortyFiner and westrock like this.
  9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Same. The new EHX stuff looks so bad. I wish they’d reign it in. Their pedals are a great value and they sound really good, but they look cheap and aren’t really a consideration for me.

10. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I got an Ampeg Liquifier because it was the MF "Stupid Deal of the Day"...I find it VERY noisy and kind of a volume suck....it sits unused.

11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I once made a purchase because it was in stock.

Wito, Mosfed, andare and 5 others like this.
  12. I heard a YouTube video of the Strymon BigSky, really liked the sound, immediately ordered one, and realized that it sounded much better to me on guitar than bass.

13. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    I wanted a wah pedal. I knew about Boss.

I bought an AW-3.

I was fourteen. It's been used maybe five times in twenty years.

D'oh.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

14. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Broughton? ;)

15. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yes, and others. The game goes like this. Wow, what a great price on a really cool pedal that I absolutely DO NOT NEED, but not even certain if I want it. If it’s still for sale in xx hours, I’ll bite.

DrMole and soundsupport1 like this.
  16. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    I saw it on TB!

17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I bought a used Moogerfooger MF-101 Low Pass Filter when I had no need for another envelope filter, and I really had no need for all the input jacks:
    Moogerfooger_MF-101_Low_20Pass_20Filter_2_1400x.jpg

I liked the envelope filter, but wasn't crazy about it. Okay, okay...I just really liked the way it looked next to my Sequential Circuits Six-Trak synth...imagine these two side-by-side :woot::
    Moogerfooger_MF-101_Low_20Pass_20Filter_1_730x.jpg
    Six-Trak 1.jpg

P.S. The Moogerfooger MF-101 actually sold for as low as $180 used before they were discontinued!:wideyed:

18. minimal

minimal Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2013
    OBNE Signal Blender. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would be perfect for my board. BUT... The standard colorway looks like a pack of Wonderbread. White, blue, red, and green. It looks like a kid's toy in a bad way. I did luck out though and for black Friday they released a black special edition which I immediately grabbed. Knowing what I know now, and if they never released the black version I would probably just suffer with the ugly colorway regardless.

19. The name? I don't like pedals named after something sexual or some kind of bodily function etc.

I'm not a prude at all... but there are times when something may be appropriate, and times when it may not be. And if it's on a pricey pedal on the floor of my music gear, for something as important to me as music which I consider one of the main things in life that describes who I am, then that is irritating to me. If I want to call something a crude name, that's fine. But don't put it on the damned pedal's permanent paint.

There is classy music as well, and classy creativity, and having a way huge swollen pickle, electric mistress, big muff, balls deep, suppa phat phuk, angry dick, supa-puss etc on my pedal board can be discombobulating to one's chi, let alone hard to explain to the kids, the wife, the parents, the guest musicians....

IS that a dumb reason? I dunno. Not to me... but to many musicians it must be, or there wouldn't be $100-$300 pedals with these kinds of names on them being sold in stores and online... and sometimes even sounding pretty dang good.

20. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    I overpaid for a used Neunaber Audio Stereo WET Reverb + Exp Controller, not realizing this was the older model and somewhat of a collector's item. The newer one would have been better for me. Also, I pulled the trigger just before several new stereo reverbs were released by other brands. This is what happens when I cut the research short. Silver lining: it's a very good reverb pedal.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021