Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the effect on

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chog, Dec 13, 2000.

1. chog

chog

Sep 4, 2000
    Sydney, Australia
    does anyone know what the effect in one section of "the power of equality" by the chili peppers is?

2. Hey

The section I think your're talking about Flea is slapping with an envelope filter (I think he used a DOD pedal). Hope this helps, keep on groovin'. C-YA.

Ben

3. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    flea uses dod? ewww. I hate dod. They sound like cr@p, drain batteries, and fall apart. I like boss.

4. chog

chog

Sep 4, 2000
    Sydney, Australia
    i don't think boss does an envelope filter

5. Boss makes an Autowah, which if I'm not mistaken.. is a term interchangeable with envelope filter or envelope follower.

Flea currently tours with a Boss 105Q Crybaby (manual wah pedal for bass) and an Electroharmonix Qtron (envelope filter).. either one would probably do a pretty good job of getting the sound on Power of Equality, or something similar, but I'd guess he uses the Qtron.

I'm almost definitely sure that it is a DOD Envelope on the album..

6. Does anyone if this sound is acheivable on a Digitech Synth Wah?

Cheers
    Chris

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think the whole DOD pedal thingy (with a dead battery) was in "Sir Psycho Sexy"...

ANDRUCA

8. Could the tone be acheived with a digitech bass synth?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bad experience? I just got a chance to play with one of these DOD envelope filters yesterday and I thought it sounded great. Was at least ten years old and still functioning.

lordraptor1 likes this.
  10. Ok, first off.

The Power of Equality was recorded with a DOD envelope filter.

There is a common notion that an Autowah and EF are the same thing. This is incorrect.

An auto-wah pedal with adjust the effect with the varible of time. Meaning, they way you adjust the effect is throught a rate switch. The more up you turn the rate, that faster the wah effect goes.

Envelope filters do have the same "sound" as wah pedals, but the sound is a bit thicker. The way this effect is changed is through volume and attack. The envelope that is reffered to here acts like a door. Now, the more sound that gets THROUGH the envelope, or door, the louder, and greater, the effect will be.

The sound can be duplicated with a digitech synth bass wah.

Sir Physco Sexy was acually recorded with a Mutron envelope pedal, with a dying battery. Not a DOD pedal.

11. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Flea, who I'm assuming can afford whatever kind of gear he wants, uses the DOD FX25 filter quite extensively. I have one and love it, and so do a lot of other people. Listen with your ears, not your wallet. Cheap does not equal bad, and expensive does not equal good.

12. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i bought an fx25b the other day from music123 and after initially thinking there was something wrong with it, eventually came to the conclusion that its a really nice, quite intense, effect.

13. lordraptor1

lordraptor1

Dec 8, 2014
    old thread but the answer to the question is flea uses a DOD FX25B (or at least he did) i don't know what if he is still using one or if he has move the the synth wah from digitech. digitech and DOD are the same company

on a side note the person who based DOD saying they were pieces of crap, sound bad drain batts fall apart, etc. you must be rough on pedals because i have an fx25B and other than the pots finally going out a couple weeks ago it has worked just fine since i bought it way back in the day. personally i have had more boss pedals fail ( most remembered moment was the boss BF-3 flanger that literally caught on fire) than DOD, but to each their own

14. If I'm not mistaken, Flea also used an EHX Bassballs and an old Boss FT-2, but I can't tell at which point in his career he used those pedals. By all accounts on TB, Sir Psycho Sexy was done with a BB housing dying batteries. I never heard about him using the BSW, but its a possibility.

15. @6:00 (what flea is using live)