1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the funnest song to play off your set list?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jbalou02, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I just got home from the first practice with band #3. I had such a good time I think this one will become band #1, and if all goes as planned, there'll be an opportunity for another bass player in one of the other two soon.

We played a tune tonight that is an absolute blast, especially with my new 5 string. I was thinking that this might be my new favorite to play. This made me think of what my favorite songs to play in the other bands were...which lead me to wonder what tunes other bass players like the best from their sets. So here it is:

New favorite - "Slither" by Velvet Revolver
    Old favorite - "What Is and What Should Never Be" - Led Zeppelin

2. As a gag song I like to play "May the bird of Paradise fly up your nose".

R-3-5-3 works till you get to the title then hard roots and as soon as the title is over back to R-3-5-3 or even pentatonics. It's that time with the roots I enjoy.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    twilight zone has such a cool groove... I've been digging that one lately.

4. Crazy Bitch from Buck Cherry. It has a great groove, its quite easy, and everyone loves it. But what makes it the most fun for me is the last line of the song, when our female lead singer (hot) screams, "But I like the way you f;;ck me!" She has a very strong voice and pulls it off perfectly! If you know the tune...Imagine a chic singing it! Its a great angle, the crowd always goes crazy.....well mostly the men,lol. Mikki (singer) always looks at me just after that line cuz she knows Im giggling like a fool on the inside.

5. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Weezer - "Hash Pipe". It has that monster chorus !

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The two tunes we do that are the most fun for me on bass are an Irish drinking song called "Streams of Whisky" and a song that we cover written by a local guy (Michael Slattery of the band Shoulders) called "Mr. Troll is Crying 'Cause He's Happy", which at one point rhymes "happy" with "slag heap".

7. probably "Hard To Handle" Black Crowes - love playing it

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have fun with just about everything we do! My #1 fav has got to be Killin Floor. That one is just a gas! I also really dig Man In The Box. The interplay between the entire band is what makes that tune so freakin awesome!

9. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Bad Company - FFDP Style..................

10. My favorite songs in our setlist would have to be Signed sealed delivered into Fire-Ohio Players and our goof on Don't cha by the pussycat dolls, we do it Polka style! 1 verse and 1 chorus.

11. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    we only do originals so I write my own basslines, and I have fun playing almost all of them :bassist:

12. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    Stealin' by Uriah Heep. Just me and a D in the spotlight at the beginning.
    "I've done the ranchers daughter, and I sure did hurt his pride Haha!"

13. TheCush

TheCush

Jul 15, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Big Legged Woman by Freddy King - really excellent groove.

14. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    My last band:
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (So Fun!):bassist:

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Medleys are fun. We often finish with New Orleans is Sinking into Another One Bites the Dust into Roadhouse and back to New Orleans....I really dig it!

16. Big +1 for the Thelma Houston

I love playing I want you back by Jackson Five - real groovy Bass line.

Disco Inferno is a gas too!

17. scott0606

scott0606

Nov 12, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Either:
    Miss You by The Rolling Stones
    Gangsters Paradise by Coolio:hyper:

18. I love to play the Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Slither's a good one! I'm mostly a fingerstyle player, but that's one of a handful of songs for which I use a pick. Another is "Mudshovel" by Staind, which is also cool.

Right now my favorites are:
    "Aeroplane" by Red Hot Chili Peppers... it tests my meager slap chops
    "I Wish" and "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder. I don't do the buzzsaw vibrato fills in "I Wish", but it's still fun to play.

Favorite song I don't play in a band: just for grins, I recently learned "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5.

20. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    Slither is a fun song.

Fallout Boy's cover of "Beat It" is a fun song to play. Great guitar solo too.