What's the funniest song your band has played at a show?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by appler, Jun 6, 2004.

1. appler

appler Guest

Tonight, my high school had its annual comedy group's performance. A few guys and me threw together a quartet and put together our little musical act to open and close the show. We opened by playing "Toxic" by Britney Spears. My friend, who was singing, wore a bikini top, a blonde wig, and rolled up gym shorts. (He is a guy, by the way.) I wore a rolled up wifebeater and added some weird high kicks during bridges while the comedy group dressed "ghetto" and danced around in the audience. We closed the show with the Power Rangers theme song, introduced by seven or so kids acting as characters from the show. I'm pretty sure the two performances went well aside from several members of the audience who are prolly scarred for life. :hyper:

"Toxic" actually has a really fun bassline. :bag:
  2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    toxic is a fabulous song.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Heffalumps and Woozles song, from Winnie the Pooh.
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    We're working on "Walk The Dinosaur" by Was (Not Was). The lyrics are terminally silly, but the bass line is thumpin'. Probably play it at a gig later this month.

5. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    System of a Down's "Legend of Zelda."

They took the little midi theme song, added acoustic guitar and drums to it, with some silly lyrics about link and zelda and whatnot on it.

We've been messing with the instrumentation... it's easiest just to play a cd with the theme on it through the PA, but sometimes when I'm up for it I'll play the synth flute part on a guitar or on a real flute(!).
  6. I thought our all-time silly song was "Time Warp" until the other day when I performed "Rubber Ducky" acapello on special request from our lead singer!!!

(Larry's our roadie, BTW.)

--joe http://www.pieceofcandi.com/
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Masterbaby" by UTFO.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rainbow in the Dark! DIO!!!!
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    While I haven't played any gigs yet, the last time I jammed with my buddies, we played the People's Court theme into Jailbreak.
  10. a reggae version of Free Bird.

when it gets to "oh won't you fly-i-i-i-i, oh free bird, yeah", we transitioned to the original version. it was fun and a great answer to the obligatory free bird shout-out from some idiot in the crowd.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

AHAHHAHAHA, me and my friends were going to start a Dio tribute band called "The Holy Divers" or something to that effect and only cover Holy Diver but do it in different styles. Reggae, Funk, Metal, Pop, Techno, Jazz, etc. :smug:

Funniest song the band I'm in does right now, Keep your hands to yourself by the Georgia Satallites :spit:

Me and my friend do a ripping version of Popeye though.
  12. not exactly a funny song. more like stupid.

but it works just about everywhere, crowds love it.
  13. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    "Dreaming," by Blondie.

What makes it funny is that it's not at all in the style of the rest of our music, combined with the fact that our lead singer is a 6'3", 240-lb. guy with a beard. Hearing him belt out high-energy lyrics about debutantes is hysterical. The crowd always loves it.
  14. Ok so on the night we did the full version of Bohemian Rhapsody by queen (with a Quire and everything) but in the practice we did a reggae version.

We had a different drummer for that one song and she was pretty bad (bad drummers why do they stalk me? why???!!!!!). Our drummer had been listening to her and came in and said, "so you guys are doing a reggae version then" so then we started doing a full arrangement for the reggae version. In my opinion it was better than the original ;)
  15. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Ya know that song "There's a cat in cradle in the Peeking Moon..." welllll.....A friend and I did "There's a cat in the kettle at the Peeking Moon..."
  16. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Well, along time ago, from the "America Eats its Young" album, there was a song I was chosen to sing, because of my rotund stature and grotesque nature. Entitled "I Call My Baby P***y"; I gave it all I had...
  17. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    We've done alot. We did a pretty good William Hung version of She Bangs back when it was still funny. We've done a few commercial songs, like Wing Man. We used to do a piece of Oh Baby Baby from Britney Spears. There are others, I'll have to think though.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ATTENTION PUNK BANDS: Stop doing Britney Spear's songs. If you insist on continuning, stop thinking it's original. Every local pop punk band thinks it's hilarious that they do some Britney Spear's song, but it keeps getting done and it's not funny unless it's done right. 8th note basslines/guitar riffs followed by yelling, "I'm a Slave 4U" isn't funny. The only Britney Spear's cover that was funny was the Zappa brothers doing "Hit me baby one more time."

Thank you and good night.
  19. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I want our band to play "Sex Farm" by Spinal Tap. Haven't talked the drummer into it yet...
  20. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    "the chicken dance" :scowl:

do you guys understand?