What's the general thinking on best valued practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jepus, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Hey,

I need a new practice amp for my house. The only small amp I've ever owned before was a Fender Rumble 15 watt piece of crap and I hated it so I want to pick up a better one.

I've been looking at the Ampeg BA112, which sells for 280 CAD, so that's roughly my price range. What else should I be looking for?

I'm not after any particular tone I just want a solid amp that will be good to practice on and also be good enough for an occasional jam (no drums).

2. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Take a look at the Fender Rumble 75. More features and more wattage. I just picked one up and i really like it! I didnt really get to compare it against anything similar though. Its a whole lot more fun to practice with that than the Hartke b20 i had before. Nothing against the little Hartke, it sounded great for what it was. Ive never liked hearing bass lines through a clock radio though...

Link - Rumble

3. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

Congrats. search over.

4. GK MB112
    Acoustic B100

S

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    BA112 is HAWT! I agree...search over ;)

6. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    IN
    You can find a used BA112 or BA115 for $150 or so on cl often if you keep looking.

7. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Not on stupid Vancouver CL :(

8. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Probably lots of nice used Traynors and Yorkvilles in Van, too.

9. Wow, there’s a bunch of bass amps in your price range (expressly used) - go to a music store and checkout some bass amps that are close to or a little over your budget. This way you’ll know which bass amps you like and which ones sux. Then check TB classified, Craigslist, ebayy, pawnshops and etc - you can buy a more expensive amp for less.

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Look for a used Peavey Minx 110. My girlfriend has one, and I've actually used it at small gigs without PA support. 30 watts into a single ten. Conversely, the Ampeg BA 110 is backlined at a little place I've played a few times, 50 watts into a single ten, and it won't keep up with a drummer behind a plexiglass shield.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    BA110 is 35w, bro.

12. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I picked up a Peavey Max 112 for a practice/apartment amp, sounds really good and could really hold it's own with a small jam/reasonable drummer. I seem to like single 12's in combos.

13. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    My friend owns a roland cube 60 bass amp in his shop which I'm pretty sure can be had for about 200 or less used. Its a good reliable amp with built in effects thats good enough for practice and can even stand up to a gentle drummer and low guitarist.

14. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    +1