Whats the hardest bass song? Whos best punk bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sliceanddice, Nov 19, 2004.

1. sliceanddice

Oct 29, 2004
    By hard I mean:

The fastest

The most hard to finger

and the hardest combination of the two

doesn't hav 2 b punk

anyone know any punk bands with awesome bass?

Nike Dirnt is ok but better (but Greenday is cool)
    don't even talk about Mark Hoppus (hes horrible)
    (But I love Blink 182!!!)
    or Ian Grushka (NFG)
    or maybe Cone McCaslin (Sum 41)
    or Sugarcults bass?
    or Linkin Park's bass (they cool too!)

(you can't expect me to memerize them all)
    if someone mentions hardcore punk bass I can't help but think of Sid...lol

keep in mind im looking for opinions

2. This isn't what we normally think of as a bass line, but I know of a guy who was working on "Flight Of The Bumblebee". That seems quite difficult to me to do on the bass. I don't know if he ever mastered it.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Black Eyes
    Gang of Four
    Black Cross
    Against Me! are not terribly unique, but they're still one of my favorites.

Tee Hee.
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    OK, for the "hardest" stuff you need to look at stuff by people like Jamaladeen Tacuma, Jaco, Stanley Clarke, Vic Wooten.... the jazzbos. For that matter a lot of decent speed/thrash metal bass players could eat the punkers for lunch, not that it's about that anyway.

My recommendations:

Jaco: Teen Town with Weather Report, Crisis off his Word of Mouth Album, Donna Lee from his first solo album

Stanley Clarke, Vic Wooten: wish I could tell you but I can't stand their music so someone else should hop in with their toughest parts.

Jeff Berlin: anything with Bruford

Dave Ellefson: Peace Sells by Megadeth

Cliff Burton: Ride the Lightning by Metallica

as for punk..... MATT FREEMAN

BTW and FYI, Flight of the Bumblebee was done in a most impressive and macho manner by the guy from Manowar. Which reminds me that as bad as their music was, they really could play the poop out of their instruments. hic
  6. basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Best punk would be Bruce Foxton of the Jam for me.

Hardest bassline I ever played is the long middle part of Dazed and Confussed by Led Zeppelin. It's an easy riff, but by the speed and the time (round three minutes) I always get cramp when I'm only halfway, you need a lot of strengs in your hand to play that one on a Fender bass. I've had a Warwick and that made it easier (still tough though), but yeah the sound, love my Fenders...

7. here's a guy who can play FOTBB...Scott Hubbell

8. Thanks for the link. Wow!! That must have taken some practice.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Matt Freeman.
  10. chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    Hardest song is pretty subjective, but you'll hear a lot of technically difficult stuff here:

As for punk bassists:
    That guy from nomeansno
    Fat Mike fron NOFX has gotten pretty good with age (listen to the decline)
    Mike Watt
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Now the way I see it... this is a thread about speed and fingerings and racing...

:bassist: <-- he thinks this is a technique thread

I think I agree

*off to Techniques*

12. Play some old Chilli Peppers stuff, Flea was tough on finger style.
  13. Russ B.

Russ B.

Jun 13, 2003
    Erie, PA
    Try to find an album called "TOLONEN" by Finnish Jazz guitarist Jukka Tolonen. There is a track on this record called "Ramblin" with a bass part that ranks as high as anything Jaco, Stanley or Flea ever did. It is one of the best electric bass lines ever recorded. This tune is a break-neck tempo "Coltrane" style number, with an "in your face" sax player. I challenge any Bass player to try and play this tune note for note. It's very fast and yet very funky with lots of syncopation in places. What you have here is Stanley's speed and Jamerson's funk all in one tune. I found this album in the early 1970's in an import bin. After 30 years, I am still absolutely floored when I hear this Bass player. The guys name is Heikki Virtanen and he was only 18 years when the album was recorded. He appeared on a few of Jukka Tolonen's subsequent albums, but does not show the level of virtuosity he demonstrated on the first album. PS. I promise you will also be awestruck by Jukka Tolonen's guitar soloing.
  14. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Rancid - Axiom
    and Stu Hamms bluegrass type thing on the live in san franscisco.
  15. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I would add Portrait of Tracy to this list. I'm just starting to learn it and all of the harmonics and finger positions give me an incredible ache in my left forearm. This one will force you to work on both left and right hand technique. Don't expect to get this one overnight!
  16. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    wow.. when i think of punk i think of the exploited... not frickin blink 182.

sorry, had to speak my mind.
  17. denjerre

May 14, 2004
    was thinkin' same thing... and GBH, Dead Kennedies, DRI ...
  18. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    I think of Rancid.
  19. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i think of bad religion.

but i second cliff burton on ride the lighting. man that guy was awesome!