Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the heaviest bass(es) you ever played?(Electric not Double)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Well, I'll post mine first. The heaviest ive ever played was a WAL Mach II body style, I think it was Mahogany with a quilted maple top. It had to be atleast 11-13 pounds, Played like a dream and sounded like god, But damn was it heavy. Another heavy bass ive played has to to be the 4/5 string Corvette standard, Not sure on the weight, but it was a back breaker.

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I played a cocobolo Alembic series 1 5 string that I believe was in the neighborhood of 15lbs.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The SX Jazz bass I had was silly heavy, easily tipping the scales at more than 10 lbs.

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Yeah, Warwick Corvette 4/5. 13+ pounds. Every time I gig or rehearse with them, I end up with knots in my shoulder for at least a week's time.

5. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    my peavey t-40 :meh:

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Broadneck Warwick Streamer LX 6... real freakin heavy.

7. I hear that. T-40's are tanks.

8. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I used to own a T-40, they are very heavy. The Warwick Corvette 6 string I just sold was without a doubt the heaviest thing I have ever played.

9. My good friend's Walnut and maple Fodera Emperor five string... it weighs as much as a Honda Civic!

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    JT's doubleneck. 26 lbs, and that's with a chambered body.

11. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    1988 Warwick Thumb 6-string, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. The tone is to die for! :)

12. My Corvette was 12 lbs, but actually balanced well, played nicely & sounded great. I wish I had an excuse to have another.

13. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    That Ampeg scroll-head bass I played was a backbreaker- even with the 2 huge F-holes that permeated the body.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My old Conklin GT-BD7 was very heavy-around 14-15 lbs. A luthier picked it up and asked if it was made out of northern ash instead of swamp ash. It was more than my six-string walnut bodied Hill with a wenge and purpleheart neck.

15. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    My '77 Jazz is like 14-15 lbs, I really like how it sounds with its hard ash body.

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I was in a Guitar Center earlier this summer and there was a used Peavey T-40 there. Nice bass, but hot darn was it heavy. It felt heavier than my Warwick Corvette 4-string, and that thing's heavy. Although, it balances well and feels "solid" to me rather than "anchor."

So, yeah, I too will go with Peavey T-40. Part of me wanted to get that bass, but the weight really turned me off, since I didn't want another heavy bass.

17. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    +1 on the Alembic Series Instruments. I can't imagine what this thing would feel like: [​IMG]

18. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Conklin GT-7

19. My wishbass is solid maple with purpleheart neck stringers and a purpleheart fingerboard and it weighs a TON...(easily 12lbs).

But it is quite comfortable when strapped, due to the REALLY long upper horn. This also brings the nut closer to my left shoulder (less of a reach) and I play it with the neck angled up at about a 45 degree angle.

There's a couple picks of it in here (plus a soundclip disguised as a .jpg) :ninja:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/kerry_retort

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Other than my Ric 4080 Doubleneck at 15 lbs it was my '77 Fender Jazz I sold to Felix Pastorius at 13.5 lbs, then a Gibson RD Artist at 12.5 lbs.