Whats the heaviest bass(es) you ever played?(Electric not Double)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Well, I'll post mine first. The heaviest ive ever played was a WAL Mach II body style, I think it was Mahogany with a quilted maple top. It had to be atleast 11-13 pounds, Played like a dream and sounded like god, But damn was it heavy. Another heavy bass ive played has to to be the 4/5 string Corvette standard, Not sure on the weight, but it was a back breaker.
  2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I played a cocobolo Alembic series 1 5 string that I believe was in the neighborhood of 15lbs.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The SX Jazz bass I had was silly heavy, easily tipping the scales at more than 10 lbs.
  4. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Yeah, Warwick Corvette 4/5. 13+ pounds. Every time I gig or rehearse with them, I end up with knots in my shoulder for at least a week's time.
  5. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
  6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Broadneck Warwick Streamer LX 6... real freakin heavy.

7. I hear that. T-40's are tanks.
  8. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I used to own a T-40, they are very heavy. The Warwick Corvette 6 string I just sold was without a doubt the heaviest thing I have ever played.
  9. My good friend's Walnut and maple Fodera Emperor five string... it weighs as much as a Honda Civic!
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    JT's doubleneck. 26 lbs, and that's with a chambered body.
  11. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    1988 Warwick Thumb 6-string, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. The tone is to die for! :)
  12. My Corvette was 12 lbs, but actually balanced well, played nicely & sounded great. I wish I had an excuse to have another.
  13. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    That Ampeg scroll-head bass I played was a backbreaker- even with the 2 huge F-holes that permeated the body.
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My old Conklin GT-BD7 was very heavy-around 14-15 lbs. A luthier picked it up and asked if it was made out of northern ash instead of swamp ash. It was more than my six-string walnut bodied Hill with a wenge and purpleheart neck.
  15. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    My '77 Jazz is like 14-15 lbs, I really like how it sounds with its hard ash body.
  16. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I was in a Guitar Center earlier this summer and there was a used Peavey T-40 there. Nice bass, but hot darn was it heavy. It felt heavier than my Warwick Corvette 4-string, and that thing's heavy. Although, it balances well and feels "solid" to me rather than "anchor."

So, yeah, I too will go with Peavey T-40. Part of me wanted to get that bass, but the weight really turned me off, since I didn't want another heavy bass.
  17. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    +1 on the Alembic Series Instruments. I can't imagine what this thing would feel like: [​IMG]
  18. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
  19. My wishbass is solid maple with purpleheart neck stringers and a purpleheart fingerboard and it weighs a TON...(easily 12lbs).

But it is quite comfortable when strapped, due to the REALLY long upper horn. This also brings the nut closer to my left shoulder (less of a reach) and I play it with the neck angled up at about a 45 degree angle.

There's a couple picks of it in here (plus a soundclip disguised as a .jpg) :ninja:

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Other than my Ric 4080 Doubleneck at 15 lbs it was my '77 Fender Jazz I sold to Felix Pastorius at 13.5 lbs, then a Gibson RD Artist at 12.5 lbs.