Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the heaviest distortion pedal made?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Turbo, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Turbo

Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    Illinois
    I need to be able to play Progenies of the Great Apocolypse and make it sound better.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can put a bunch of lead weights in a Big Muff to make it heavier.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    To actually answer you question, I think you might like the TRI -AC.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And truthfully, that's probably my answer too.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I haven't heard the song in question, but I am currently waiting for a Torn's Peaker from Effector 13. They have bass sound samples on the site. They also have some very heavy fuzz pedals.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sorry for the joke earlier, I would suggest a BJF Blueberry.

Not sure what your definition of Heavy is but this pedal loses absolutely no lows at any useable setting. With the tone/bass control set in the lowest position it actually adds so much low end that it can get muddy if you aren't careful.

Downside to this pedal is cost; I think they list for over 200 dollars.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I don't remember hearing the bass use any distortion in that song :meh: Maybe I need to listen to it again.

For you guys that don't know the song I would call it Black Metal but what do I know, I'm 34 and uncool ;)

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    They should call that the Kyuss Fuzz. Seriously, roll off the highs and boost lows (add detune) and you would be about there.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    ZVex Machine. Nastiest distortion ever.

10. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Run two or three distortions at once... umm, yeah, i know the noise and hiss will be unbareable, but if you need the most distortion possible, well... there you go. Also you'll have no clarity. I ran my sansamp -> boss odb-3 -> guitar amp, line out -> Bass amp.. all gain and level settings at 10, and my bass amp has a tube pre-amp, so that was distorting like mad... let's just say i've never heard anything more distorted, and if i turned the master volume from .5 to 1 i would blow my speakers, because the pre-amp gain was so high.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

that deserves a...

RAWK!!! :bassist:

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Red channel of a Mesa V-Twin. Awww yeah.

13. ZVex Wooley Mammoth is ungodly distortion for bass, and it's really ooomphy bassy thick.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Really? - I wonder..
    I'm not familiar with the song, but try asking half the rock guitarists out there "let me hear your AC/DC sound", and they'll reply with some sort of scorching death-metal tone or something.. Most AC/DC guitar parts are practically twangy-clean!!

Some players seem to have a hard time telling the difference between masterful, authorative, powerful playing, and.. what? Distortion?? (Oo.. I almost used a smiley -- I don't do smileys...)

Are you sure that it's distortion that you need, Turbo?

Joe

15. beat me to it...this is pretty wild distortion...

16. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Hell yeah! I think I want one of these. Lets us know how you like when it arrives.

17. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    poke holes in your speakers with a pencil