What's the Hottest (Loudest) Bass You've Played?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EString, Dec 24, 2001.

1. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    What is the loudest bass you have ever played?

I would have to say the G&L L-2000. That thing is powerful.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The G&L L series is also the hottest that I have ever played. Turned all the way up, they will clip almost any preamp out there, especially if you dig in really hard.
  3. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    My entry-level Status bass has quite a hot signal.
  4. I would say the Kubicki also.
  5. my current Ibanez EDC with BTB electronics & pickups in it... this thing has HUGE output..
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Another vote for the L2000.
  7. I'd have to say my TRB 5 fretless.

It has a massive output and will kill my trace 30w practice amp if the volume's all the way up!

Some people don't like the Active electronics on the trb's but i kinda like them :)

merry christmas

8. I found the following to be especially loud:

1. Spector NS (US or Czech)
    2. Modulus QUantum
    3. Pedulla Thunderbass
    4. Zon Legacy Elite

The G&L is very loud for having passive pickups (I know, they have an active preamp) but is not the all out loudest. It seem that a bass with a solid maple body and EMG pickups have the advantage for loudness.
  9. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I wasn't particularly blown away by the Quantum or Spector's output levels. They didn't seem as hot as the L-2000. I have not tried the Pedulla or Zon.
  10. Which model Spector did you play? I own 3 Spectors and have yet to find a bass that is louder and "in your face" including the G&L. A buddy of mine works at a music store that carries G&L basses and I will do a head to head Spector/G&L test myself. I'll let you know the results.
  11. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    My G&L L-2000 Makes my Stingray5 seem tame
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Of production basses, my L2000E. My 78 Tobias is even louder (JHD Audio preamp with 2 -9v's, EMG's with 1-9v). It'll drive headpones.
  13. Brad,
    I just plugged one of my Spectors into a pair of headphones and it also had enough gain to drive the headphones. No kidding!
  14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Alembic Series I or II, either one can drive a pair of headphones, additonally you can control how hot the signal is from the back of the bass.
  15. I have to turn the volume knob down just a pinch, or I clip the preamp with the L-2500, also the Cort Curbow does the same if cranked, and that is just a single Bart p'up. My other basses don't clip the POD though I think the G&L and the Cort are just a little hot, to say the least.

Also tried the headphone test:

1) G&L L-2500 actually sound good through the headphones
    2) Cort Curbow not too shabby through the headphones, very impressed.
    3) Warwick Corvette Standard- Fail, must repeat semester, no sound at all.
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've created a monster:)

Okay, my passive Hagstrom Big Swede actually blew up a set of headphones.

17. Yes you have because Godzilla is lurking in your headphones. BEWARE!
  18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  19. I'd have to say Thunderbass or G&L L-2000/2500. They're both so hot that I have to pad the input gain and turn the trim all the way down (and they're still very hot) on consoles. Spectors do have pretty hot outputs but not to that extreme. Also anything with a Basslines quarter poud pickup will have incredible output.