1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the huge bass cab on Conan O'Brien?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Cat, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I was watching Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien tonight & the band featured had a bass cab w/what looked like a 30"-40" speaker. I've seen other bands on Conan use this cab as well.

Anyone know what kind of cab it was?

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I saw that too... Matisyahu's bass player? My only guess was Accugroove Whappo Grande... but just a guess.

3. Might've been one of those old-school Peavey or EV cabs with a 30" driver. I would imagine that a reggae player might like one of those.

Another possibility is that it's an electromechanical servo driver, a form of subwoofer widely used in Jamaican soundsystems. Servos can produce positively obscene amounts of very low frequencies (<100Hz).

4. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    That might be the case... I remember thinking that the speaker itself was wider than the 8x10 cab next to it. Never heard of those though, and the Accugroove was the only similar thing I could find...

5. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I noticed there was no logo on the cab. The band that was on tonight I don't think even had a bass player or he was playing a baritone guitar. I'd like one for outdoor gigs:)

6. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Would there be any attack in that? Or would you be waiting for the song to finish to play your next note?!

7. A 30" electromagnetic driver would probably have very poor attack and responsiveness characteristics. Servos would probably be more responsive, but you're also talking about several hundred pounds of machinery!

8. 21" speakers actually used to be produced/used regularly from what I can remember hearing/seeing until the past 5 years or so and they started dieing out.

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Any pics for poeple that never watch this show?

(I'm really a Craig Fergusen guy when I'm up that late, but different topic).

I'm intruiged by this though, I'm kinda surprised major acts will play through a speaker that massive. It must be a good cab for them to use it, though.

10. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    But is that the same speaker used on the show?

It seems other people are mentioning something that is 30".

Whatever the cab is I bet it weighs a ton.

11. metalbass.com

metalbass.com

Mar 20, 2006
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    After seeing the pic of a 30, I'm going back to my original guess that it's the 21" Accugroove... those just look huge. And is that a wall in someones house?!?!?!?

13. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Way to singlehandedly chew a gig of memory. :-\ That's a big photo. And big speakers. Wonder how much punch those have...

14. *SIGH*

*Swoons*

15. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    While I can't say that I recognize much of that setup, EV used to have a home speaker called the Patrician that looked a lot like the Klipsch corner horn that used the 30 . . . . . It was a truly awesome beast . . . .

- Tim

16. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Overkill.

17. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    It's not an Accugroove I don't think.
    This had no logo, equal amounts of space between the speaker edges & the 3 sides of the cab that were visible, square.
    It looked freakishly large, almost like a prop at a Neil Young concert from the early 90's.
    Late night is the only show I've seen this cab on so maybe it's a backline option exclusively for that show.
    Why would a pro soundman want a 30" speaker to deal w/for a TV broadcast?
    You could play some serious reggae w/a 30" cab.

Metalbass, can you un-Wata-size your pictures so we can get some perspective on how not to setup our home systems:)

18. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    maybe... I only saw it the once. Like I said... just a guess. This thread has really spiked my curiosity now though!