whats the idea of a scale?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jonki, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway

right now cant get the idea of scales, chords etc. ,how does it works and affect my musicianship. When i see some scale charts and stuff, im getting confused... i.e.Am7, Cm7, E7 and so on. at the moment im working on some riff, but i cant be satisfied with them. buddies of mine keeps talking about scales and stuff, but cant get the idea and how it works

thanks for replies

best regards

from a confused Jonki
  2. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    Find a good bass teacher. There's no substitute for that.
  3. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Do I still need a bass teacher if I've been playing saxophone for 6 years? (taught by band teachers?) Like I think i can figure out this instrument on my own... I think i got a fairly good understanding of music theory or at least where to look for it...
  4. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    If you have to ask, then, yes, you need a teacher.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    This statement...
    and this statement...
    are contradictory

If you've been taking lessons for six years and don't have the basics of scales, chords, etc... down, find a different teacher.
  6. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The White keys on a piano/keyboard, is the C Major Scale.

Learn and understand the C Major Scale.
  7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004

A scale is a bunch of notes that sound good together in a simple tune. A chord is a selection of these notes that sound good together at a certain point in that tune.
  8. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    It's possible that they are from two different people.
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    No one can EVER know everything about theory. No matter how much you try. There is just so much of it to all take it. Sure you can figure it out np, but that's different. I've been playing flute for 10 years. I got bass lessons 2 years ago, thinking i knew alot about theory. I didn't even know the formula to a minor scale!
  10. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks, CB56...

Yeah, talk about a non sequitur. They do seem to be two different people, but that doesn't make the second one's response any more relevant.

11. In essence, scalar theory revolves around the major scale. Everything stems off this. It is recommended to memorize triads and 7ths. Memorize the relative minor (aka natural minor; all minor scales revolve around this scale) for each major key, instantly know the mediant and dominant of EVERY key, then proceed to do "runs" all up and down your neck, intertwining notes in various registers, practicing inversions.

Then study the modes! Memorize the fingering and the practical use of each mode. Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian, Locrian (dim.) are utilized and manipulated when a minor is needed. Ionian, Lydian and Mixolydian are major modes. You must have an awareness of scale degrees to use this information to its fullest. When do you use which one? Study...you'll discover the answer.

Theory flash cards are a great tool and you'll feel your knowledge in theory expanding daily.

There is a ton of info on this site and you can do a search to find the information you need.
  12. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My bad!!!