Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the Intel equivalent to a AMD Athlon 64?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Hey All-

We're looking to spend about $800 or so on a new computer and that's the chip that's in most computers at that price. I've got an idea(vague as it is) of what I'm getting in an Intel processor so what does a Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 3800(that's the one that pops up the most) compare to from Intel?

thanks!

Bob

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Intel's Pentium D chip simply does not compare to the X2 chips. The Pentium EE (Extreme Edition) can keep up and surpass the X2 running multiple apps but the X2 still smokes it running single apps. You're good to go with an X2 over Pentium D. Also the Pentium D chips consume far more power than the X2.

brad cook

3. Not to mention the AMD's run much, much cooler.

4. Word. My my friend (an intel guy) set up my computer, he thought my temperature gauge was broken. But this was one of the first line runs of the basic Athlon 64s...so the X2 may be different.

5. Thanks, and sorry for the slllloooowww reply to your responses. Damn this life away from the computer. It keeps getting in the way of my "cyber" life.

Anyway, I was a bit surprised by the unanimous votes for AMD. Not based on anything I know, just on what I remember from the last time we bought a computer 7-8 years ago. Seemed like AMD was just a also ran that wasn't on par with Intel then- things do change, don't they?

Bob

6. +2

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Consume less power = run cooler. So it was already mentioned, in a way. ;)

8. The Intels aren't bad, per se; it's just that AMD's are usually cheaper, cooler, faster (in games, mostly), etc.

Don't base your decision on clock speeds, a 2.0Ghz AMD is usually comparable to a 3.0-3.4Ghz Intel in most scenarios.

If you're looking to build a system for ~$800, I wouldn't start looking at dual cores just yet (unless you're sure that's what you want). I would look at the AMD64 Venice core processors, as they are cheap and extremely efficient. The dual core processors will offer better multitasking abilities though, so it may be worth it. Just don't break your bank on the processor and cheap out on the rest of the system, you will NOT be satisfied. To save money, you may want to look at a motherboard with integrated LAN and audio features, but I strongly recommend against integrated video. Integrated video saps off of your system resources, while a PCI-Express/AGP video card will use it's own resources (and will be MUCH faster).

If you need any help, feel free to ask. I may be able to point you in the right direction if you feel lost. :p

EDIT: If you decide to buy a pre-built computer from Dell or Gateway, you will get an Intel (last time I checked, that's all they sold). If possible, I recomment building it yourself (it really is not hard at all) or buying parts and getting your local computer shop to build it for you. You really will get more bang for your buck this way, and you know the parts will be quality. Dell, Gateway, and the like usually get "Value" parts made for them in bulk...which is why they can sell off systems so cheap sometimes.

9. Thanks for the input. The only reason I mentioned the AMD dualcore specifically is that is the AMD processor found in most of the computers that have caught my attention- the ones without an Intel processor, anyway. Just thought I'd go to the TB braintrust for it's collective input on AMD since I don't know anything about 'em.

Since no one has posted the requisite "Dude, AMD sucks!" answer, I'm gonna have to consider that they ain't half bad.;)

Your comment about the clockspeed sounds familiar- hasn't that been the knock on AMD all along? I remember that being said about them when we bought our last computer 7-8 years ago. We wound up with a Sony Vaio, and I'm leaning toward buying another- Intel chip and all. Unless something better for the same cash comes along.

As far as building my own... well, that just isn't my thing. With family, work and music responsibilities, the last thing I need is a new hobby to wrap my brain around. Besides, everything out there that's $800 off the shelf can blow this antique I'm sitting at now out of the water. Hell most $300 systems would knock the slobber out of it. Thanks anyway.

Bob

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    AMD is catching up in terms of price, at least on the top end.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

My wife works for the non-AMD company mentioned here.

She manages a group of eggheads in one part of the process that creates the chips -- she has a Ph.D. in E.E. from Stanford.

There's some mighty cool stuff in the pipeline, but you should get what you want now -- unfortunately, there's always something better around the corner, so you gotta jump in.

The loyal husband in me has to provide the obligatory "Dude, AMD sucks!" comment, since my wife's company pays the bills and provides the funding so I can buy basses. :D

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I believe both companies are working on quad core processors right now for one thing.

brad cook

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The FX procs are really pricey, that's for sure. I think the sweet spot for the X2 as far as bang-for-buck is probably the 4000 or 4200 right not.

brad cook

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I run two amd machines. They are fantastic. One thing to look out for is a crappy chipset, no matter which processor you go with.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i've always been a major intel fan, but with my new athlon i'm a complete convert. :). (helps that it's the most powerful dual core around heh).

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, very impressive. :hyper: i got a bsee from ga tech, and a few of my good friends got jobs at intel.

17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Food for thought for everyone:

Are you sure you need a Ferrari to go to the grocery on the corner?

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Makes the trip more fun, no matter where or how far.

Most people can get along with a p3 500 with 512 (XP, office and IE), but most people do not want to.

19. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Better to have the Ferrari and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

20. :D