Whats the latest with DP??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Jul 28, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I know there are quite alot of members here that are getting bass' built by DP and and some are in the works at various levels. It seems I havent heard much about them lately.

Im one of those people that have been waiting until I hear more reviews before taking the plunge.

So lets hear more about the on going projects or other recent reviews since he adapted different building techniques.
  2. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Did you catch DR Burkowitz' review? Search for the "How about a show your DP Custom thread" and towards the end he reviewed his bass.

Also search for a post by the user name 'guest'. He just recieved a BEAUTIFUL rosewood bass and put up a review and pics.

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    some like, some don't...

I find the woodwork on DP's to be extremely crude.

I have customs built by Ed Reynolds, Bob Mick and Dave Pushic and Pushic's craftmanship doesn't compare to the others.
  4. THough I have not played a DP bass, I agree with SMG that they look a bit crude in comparison to many high end lutheirs. His fit and finish has been getting better though and his pricing and attitude are very good. I guess this is another example of you get what you pay for.

5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    the way DP presents and shows his work is crude too. His pics and his website are not the best way to promote handmade basses.
  6. I think Dave Pushic markets his bass more as an affordable alternatetive to the more expensive customs. rather than trying to compete with them.

my DP was made very well and I've have been extremly happy with it. there is a couple of cosmetic flaws, that I'm sure you wouldn't find on a Ken Smith costing 3 or 4 times as much. but, it's nothing that compromises the tone or playabillity.
  7. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    To be honest with you, I think a lot has to do with the presentation. Talkinb about the website and all.

For anyone who has only seen these basses I understand. I felt the same way for a while from the less than ideal pics on Dave's site. 'This looks a little off, that's probably crooked'. But then I've looked at other hand built basses and, of course they had better pictures, but if you really look at the detail it's just the same. You just don't see it as much for the better photography. Then if you get the chance to play these handbuilt things, a lot of the discrepancies were actual just poor photography; so we just don't know in this case..well, at least until I recieve mine and put up a THOROUGH review:)

Anyway, there just seems to be two more that totally are happy with the work Dave does to every one that had a bad experience 2 years ago.

If you don't mind, when did you have a bass built for you by Dave?? Do you have any pics?? What issues did you have with the bass? It's always nice to talk to somebody who's actually PLAYED a Pushic bass:) Feel free to email me if you don't wanna discuss on the board. Thanks.

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've played Pushics before, one that was built only a few months ago. His workmanship is crude. I think maybe one day he'll get better but I wouldn't buy one of his basses now. There are way too many less expensive basses out there now that are A LOT better. Judging the quality of construction now, I don't think his basses will stay together for very long, at least not the ones I've seen. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm sure Dave's a nice guy but as been said many times, you get what you pay for. But I'm not really sure that even applies.
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Crude in what sense? Dodgy finish, stuff not fitting, unsanded areas, misalignment? If you could post some specifics, that could be useful information for those of us who might consider going with DP one day. Especially because not everybody places the same emphasis on the same things.
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    my concept of rude on his works is based only on the pics i have seen. so i think that my opinion is not so important.
    watching the pics i have seen basses that i don't like. not only i don't like the shapes (some of them to me are the attempt of bass player to be designer). even the shapes that he offers are not really interesting to me. i have this feeling of appoximation seeing his works. pickups routing not so well done, stuff like that. maybe i am wrong because i should not speak without ever seeing a DP in person. but people seem interested in ordering this basses and then a lot of them sell the basses. or maybe it's all a photo quality issue.
    nothing wrong with Mr Dave Pushic, i can only suggest him to take care of his image too. his skills will be better seen thru good quality pics and thru a user friendly , clear and enjoyable website. i am a bass player at night and my job is industrial designer. i have been a graphic illustrator and a web designer. i hope he decide to invest some money on that aspect. just my 2 cents here.
  11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The finishes are bad, the sanding is bad, the routing is bad, the fretwork is bad. The most recent had a fingerboard that hung over the shaft of the neck by 1/4" each side. Instead of sanding the board to match the neck, he globbed in a bunch of glue to try to cover it up. It didn't work. The neck was not flat and smooth on the back but felt like a rollercoaster when you ran your hand up the length with all the dips and valleys. There were many other oddities that I won't go into.
  12. It amazes me that people who have never played a DP Custom bass would slam the builder.
    I own two of them, entirely different in sound and looks, by design. They were built a little over a year apart. He is steadily improving but you would expect that of any craftsman. I have been playing bass over 30 years and have owned many of the top brands from the old days...Fender P and J fretless and fretted, Gibson, Rickenbacker and other lessor known brands. I have also played other's basses Sadowsky, Fodera, Musicman and Alembic. They were all nice but I didn't see $3,000 or more worth in any of them and for some of them you would have had to pay that. What Dave has attempted to do and done is to give the mid level players ( talent and income ) the chance to play something which he or she could have a voice in designing. Most of us would never have that chance otherwise. Are Dave's basses perfect? No, not at all. Are they well worth what you pay? Very much so. Are the other basses perfect ? No. What I paid for two custom basses designed for my hands would have just been a down payment on any of the others, plus I have the electronics and pickups that I wanted . Given the chance you could nit pick any of the custom bass builders, but I think when you pay $3 grand or more you overlook any flaws because you'd feel like a fool for spending that much and not having perfection. Any of you guys anywhere near Virginia Beach VA are more than welcome to come play mine. I for one am very happy with the money I spent and the basses I received.
  13. I think I can see both sides. On the one hand, there are very few (if any) other truly affordable custom bass builders. I can understand being able to excuse a few "warts" or imperfections in a bass if it cost so little.

On the other hand, I would wonder what the point of a custom bass would be if the builder couldn't get the details perfect. At minimum, I'd hope for there to be decent fretwork, properly cut nut, and good routing for a new bass. I personally would enjoy more a bass that plays properly but looks plain. Others might choose to have one that looks great but needs a little work.

It seems as if there is a compromise to be made if somebody expects to have a custom-made instrument at a factory-made price. I've read DP's philosophy and while I agree in theory and I admire his commitment to making affordable stuff, I'm not sure it translates all that well in real life. I still don't feel like an idiot for spending the cash on a Fodera.
  14. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I really want to hear from the people that have just RECENTLY recieved DPs. Chumpstain, DR, Jeff Rader, Guest, gus, and see what each has to say about the LARGE issues that Peter has brought up.

I just find it VERY hard to believe that mcracer would have bought 2 DPs if the fretwork was so horrible; if the neck was so wavy and the basses looked like they wouldn't hold together very long. Not saying Peter didn't experience this, just that maybe it's just the basses HE saw, or maybe the expectations of what 'good' fretwork and such IS..cause that's definitely up to the individual.

I think I'll actually go email these people a little while later and post the comments here...that would be a little better than starting another post I guess:)

Take care guys.

15. i'm gonna have to agree with mcracer. dave is letting the average joe get a chance at playing something that most people couldn't afford. i was VERY happy with mine until the fretboard issue, which i'm sure a few of you have read about. even after all that was said and done, i'm really looking forward to my next one.

peter parker - i can feel for what you are saying, i had a serious issue where the fretboard came off. yet, i've seen crappy fretwork, bad sanding, and other little imperfections on all kinds of instruments. especially ones costing MUCH more than my DP did. if my fretboard wouldn't have come off, i'd still be playing that as my main bass. dave is re-building the bass for me, and i have the opportunity to make changes on things that I made mistakes on, not mistakes made by dave.

yes, i too would like to see better photos, and a better site representing his product. but, from what i can tell, he's pretty backed up with orders right now, and updating or revamping the site is probably on the bottom of the list.. one man operations are tough! especially when so many bassists have bad GAS and want the next "hot thing" ...

one thing for sure, these aren't fodera's, they aren't ken smith's, and they are certainly not Sadowsky's. they are DP's, and i really haven't seen dave make any claims that his are "better" or "comparable to.." these other big name brands.

most of the shapes were "customer designed" which dave replicates as close as possible to he original drawing by the customer. he did mine exactly how i drew it, and every flaw in the shape was because i measured wrong, not because of faulty workmanship

my $.02....
  16. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I sent you an email; if you don't mind, could ya take the time to write me back about it? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

17. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    One may argue that to follow a flawed design exactly is faulty workmanship, or at least irresponsible and unfair to the client.
  18. gyancey... very true.. i won't argue with that one bit. but, dave builds what the customer asks for. if something is just way off he will offer some suggestions however.
  19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    who in there right mind wants to take a chance with a guitar where the fingerboard might come off? not me. ill take a fender or a musicman for that money and not worry about it.
  20. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I've only heard of gus' problem with the fingerboard and that was shipped across the country. I hardly see that as a recurring theme here; just one of those things.

I will agree with you that it's not for everyone. Some people don't want to take a chance ever and that's just fine. They'll be happy with their Fender or Musicman and life will go on. However, there are other people that are willing to take that chance and that's cool too. Again, everyone's got an opinion and life will go on:)

About building to a customers wishes...

I find this really rad. I mean, who else will build you a bass in the shape of the Eifel Tower if you want?? In this, I feel some of the blame for a failed instrument would HAVE to lay with the customer; that is if they were making these decisions which a lot of people do. Now if the workmanship is just downright horrible, ok..but I so far I don't see that being the case.

After all, some people will own Pushics and some will own Smiths...but I guarantee they do so for different reasons and that's cool.