What's the law on giving out mix CD's?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 20, 2003.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok I know that by law you're allowed to make one copy of any album that you own for personal use and that it's illegal to copy albums and give them out but here's a question:

Some people give out mix CD's of their favorite or most meaningful music as wedding favors. My fiance and I are interested in doing this but neither one of us want to do it if it's illegal (neither of us are the pirated music types). Does anyone know if that kind of thing is straight-up illegal or are there any kinds of exceptions or loopholes that would allow us to do that? I'd love to get my grandparents blasting some King Crimson in their horseless carriage. :cool:

brad cook
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    It is not illegal to give away.

It is illegal to sell them for a profit... quite illegal.

Give away as many as you want.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

It is illegal to copy music, except one personal use copy.

Nowhere in the copyright laws is profit / charging money discussed. You must obtain permission from the copyright holder to copy music.
  4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Can you not buy a compilation CD on with the tracks you want, then make a copy of it but only gather out the songs you want? If so you could claim that you backed up the songs that were important to be doubled incase of damage to the original CD, and that you weren't bothered about the loss of the unimportant ones..

If this were valid, buy a karioke CD with hundreds of tracks one (a bit costly), then salvage out 12 or so tracks, and you've the further claim that thats all would fit on each CD.

5. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    copying CDs for personal use, to give to others, and sell to others is perfectly legal under all circumstances.

.........as long as nobody sees you do it ;) :D
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    You really should do a little research before you hand out such bad information.
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    While making a mix cd to give to someone is technically illegal, I doubt the RIAA or anyone else for that matter is gonna come after you for making one mix cd.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah I know. We're not worried about getting caught. We both just like to stay within the "law of the land" in anything that we do. That's just our individual respective convictions on things.

brad cook
  9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Much respect, Brad. It's good karma, for you and yours.
  10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you implying that copyright laws are unjust?
  11. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I don't understand either.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

How irrelevant.

brad cook
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agree. SMASH's comment is completely irrelevant.

Copying music and giving it away is technically stealing. Don't do it.
  14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There is a law called the "Audio Home Recording Act" that allows you to make copies of your music (no mention of this "one copy only" limitation that's being quoted above, that's more of a software EULA thing). This act also allows you to legally make copies for your friends.

I would think the ambiguous part would be the fact that you want to make multiple copies to give away to everyone at your wedding. While you could make a mix CD and give it to your best man, or brides maid, things would get murky if you're making 100 copies for everyone who attends.

Maybe you could use the music as a soundtrack to some kind of viewable electronic photo album that you could watch on your computer. I've seen many people put together videos / CDs showing clips or photos put to music. I don't think anyone's going to come knocking on your door because you wanted to put your pictures to music, know what I mean?

As a matter of fact, Apple's iLife software will let you do exactly what I was describing in the previous paragraph.
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The Audio Home Recording Act only addresses digital music, more specifically the manufacturing of digital music recording devices. There was another, older law, I believe, that allowed for the reproduction of copyrighted recordings for the personal use of the person who purchased that. I could be wrong but I've heard this said before.

brad cook
  16. you could get permissions for each song, but then you'd probably have to pay alot money, I don't know how much.

why don't just write some music for your wedding? ;) that would make things alot more simple.

17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Pot, kettle, black.

brad cook
  18. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    We all want to play nice, don't we? :)
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're right.

SMASH: I apologize for my rolleyes in my earlier post. That was unnecessary.

brad cook
  20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    No, it's not strait up illegal...that is one of those laws that's really just a suggetion - not really enforced...you know like marijuana laws, the laws that say taking the towels from hotels is stealing, speed limits etc. - all just suggestions, not hard a fast rules to live by...you shouldn't take the laws literally - that's like taking the bible litrerally....