1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's The Lightest "J Style" Bass Out There?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MichaelThomas, Mar 26, 2009.

1. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    Hey everyone I'm new to the forum so here's my first thread. My main bass for about 6 years has been a '96 american standard Jazz bass in sonic blue. She's my baby, and very scrumptruelescant. However, it is very very heavy. I'm only 21 and I'm starting to have some back problems and my doctor thinks it could be from slinging this huge slab of wood on my shoulders while jumping around like an idiot jonas brother every night.

I love jazz basses and I'm on the hunt for a very light J style bass. I know fender makes the Aerodyne bass but I think they sound like poo. I've also been looking at the Schecter Diamond J but I haven't had the chance to play one. Any ideas?

MichaelThomas

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You can buy a hollowed out J body on Warmoth.com

jbass_hollow_11.

Choose a light wood with the option and you will have one light bass, but then you have to watch out for neck dive with a body that is so light.

Also, I have read that a bass has a better fundamental (better lows) if it is heavier rather than lighter. I do notice that my sx shortscale p bass is not as low sounding as most other basses I've owned and I think its due to the lightweight.

Maybe just look for an 8LB bass?

You might also want to start doing some exercise/weights to strengthen that back of yours.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you "cherry pick" with a watchful eye and some patience you can get a very light Fender J. I recently had a Fender Deluxe J5 which weighed 8.5 lbs. Also you can have a super-light J custom made for you. I commissioned a P5 bass from Valenti specifying light weight, and he managed to get it under 8 lbs., he could easily do the same with a J.

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
  5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Basslab Soul. My fiver weighs 5.1 lbs (really) with perfect balance-it's 100% hollow....right down to the nut! Pricey but amazing. All composite. Feels like a feather, sounds like an anvil.

Attached Files:

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The Squier Vintage Modified Basses weigh next to nothing.

Well, the 70s bass, anyway.

7. MY Elrick NJS weighs a little over 8 pounds, and its a five. I'm assuming the four would be just under. Bass central has a fretless four NJS that I believe was like 7.9 or something along those lines. Either way, couple that with the way it balances and that thing flloats on a strap. It makes my MIM jazz 4 feel like a freakin tree.

8. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    My CallowHill should come in at 8 lbs or under. Especially being rear routed and with no control plate.

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The Devon Diamond J 5 string I bought from Mr. Majestic is a featherweight. I haven't weighed it, but I doubt it weighs more than 8 pounds.

10. The yamaha rbx a2 is also less than 8 i think

11. there is a Lakland DJ4 (natural) just over 8 lbs for sale @ theperfectbass.com, otherwise i believe Sadowsky chambers their bass so they are lighter and resonate better, apparently.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My '69 Jazz only weighs exactly 8 lbs. She's a joy to play.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The RBX4 A2 is as low as six, according to some people here who have recently purchased them. but there's quite a spread.

I think that's pretty much the winner.

14. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Except that there's already been a lower weight bass posted in this thread, the Basslab Soul:

15. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The Basslab that lomo poste would have to be the winner.

The lightest bass, Jazz or otherwise, that I've personally played was my old American Dlx Jazz IV. Right at 8lbs., +/- a couple ounces. It was balanced too, an effortless player.

16. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    My callowhill should be in around 7.5 or 8lbs

17. You might also consider a Pedulla Rapture with the JJ pickups. Not a "true" jazz bass of course, but smaller and lighter, and designed to be similar sounding.

Also - and this is an honest question, not meant to be an insult to anyone - do heavy instruments really cause back problems? I'm much more concerned about the weight of my amp and the potential for injuring myself lifting it.

18. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    Thanks for all the input guys. Some great recommendations here.

Jim Nazium: The answer is yes, you really have to be careful with your posture on stage. And my stage presence is pretty intense, I'm all about putting on a great live show, musically and visually. On top of that I'm not too smart when loading my cabs and what not, we do everything really fast every night on tour.

::::Bassist:::: Thanks for the chambered Jazz recommendation, it looks promising. Weights?! Exercise?! lol I'm too lazy for that. I should get into a good work out routine. The only physical activity I get now is on stage and in the sack ;)

19. YOURS may be light. My VM Jazz is around 10 pounds. I hefted it with a Marcus Miller sig 4-string before I bought it and both were around the same weight, so I didn't feel too bad about buying it.

My thinking is that the OP should start making the rounds of shops looking for a light instrument. They're there, he'll just have to look until he finds what he wants.

My suggestion would be to look at the Fender MIM 70s Jazzes.....I've not come across a real heavy one yet.

Roger

20. Mike -

There is a TBC JJ that's available in the classifieds right now (not mine) that ought to be exactly what you need. THose are very nice basses for the money and with their chambered bodies, there are extremely lightweight. (Here's the thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529468&)