1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the limit amount of $ you would spend on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Apr 30, 2009.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I see people on here post exotic custom made fretless basses, Fender american standards, re-issues, and other high end basses.

Well, I'm poor unfortunately so I'm stuck at $500. Anything beyond that is out of my reach, and when I say $500, i'm talking $250 this week, and another $250 next week.:crying:

So to me I'm stuck at the "entry level bass" department forever. So that means none of my basses will ever sound as good as yours because I'm poor. All I have is my skills to fall back on....:bassist:

2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The most I've spent so far is $1350. Always used. Once you get to a certain point the basses don't get better, just different. My other bass costs half that much and I like them both the same. I would spend more. To me its not about what other people think but what I think. I play more enthusiasticly thus better if I'm on a bass I'm comfortable with.

3. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    not true, keep your eyes on that used market. i just picked up a mark hoppus p bas for 225. $500 is plenty of money to get a nice bass. just do your homework, shop smart, and keep those eyes open!

4. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Personally, I think you can find some great basses in that price range. Realistically, if you look around and test out enough basses, you may come to the decision that you would actually prefer a lower end bass. Then there's always the fact that used basses and deals come around constantly as long as you're on the prowl that I've heard of. My friend got a Warwick Thumb for around $600 I believe, maybe a little more. Now as far as limit goes, I'd feel bad for spending the $7,000 that I'd like to spend on a buckeye burl exotic US Spector, but whilst considering that, I also considered a Wishbass to work on as a project. I'm currently gathering money to start my first build, etc. etc.. My point is that it's all about you, not about how much money you dump into buying a bass. Sure, high end stuff is amazing, I'd die for a Browne bass, but while saying that, I've never touched one. I don't know if that bass is right for me. Consider what you do, how a bass feels, sounds, etc. and then how much money you think a bass should be bought for.

5. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    The most I spent $1280. I look at a lot of basses but I don't think I would spend over $1500.

6. I have never spent more that 1000.00, doesn't mean that I wouldn't though, altho, I don't think that I will.

You mention that you can spend 500.00 at the most, saving 250.00 one week and then 250.00 the next week.

Why can't you just save 100.00 a week for 10 or so weeks?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The most I would spend depends on my income. The most I have spent is around $1900. The best bass I have ever played cost me $750, and I've seen ones like it go for a lot less, as low as $500--I actually overpaid just because I really wanted that one. So keep your eyes open, save up your money for a few weeks or months, and don't believe the hype.

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    If the tool works, I don't mind paying for it.

9. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Save your money and you can afford anything you want. Might take a while, but that's life.

10. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    dont envy what people got here, I spent a lot for a bass (3500$) because I got bonuses from my job. but a 400$ warwick rockbass is great. at least your not lefty ;)

11. I have always bought basses with an eye toward resale value. Not that I plan on ever reselling them, but just as a way of seeing it as an "investment" and not an "indulgence". I do not claim to be an expert but I know my basses have fared better than my mutual funds - and maybe (just maybe) my kids won't be so anxious to cash them in when I'm playing that great gig in the sky :p

12. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    $500 is my limit. There are plenty of VERY nice playing / sounding instruments out there for that price.

I think that there comes a point that after a certain level of quality is met, you are just paying for the name stuck on it.
    The same with motorcycles, The quality of harleys don't make them worth 5 - 10 grand more that their competition, but by just carrying the Harley Davidson name on the gas tank, people pay it.

Please, keep in mind that I am a cheapskate.

13. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Some upgrades will eventually put my at about $1,500-$1,600 for my Precision.

I plan on buying a Status bass sometime in the next few years, probably going to cost around $3.5k or so.

14. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I hear you!

But remember there's a large diverse group of people here, rich poor, full-time musicians, weekend warriors, and bedroom rock stars. No use in trying to keep up with the jones's, it would never end.

When I was a teenager I saved my lawn mowing money for a single summer and bought a new Ric 4003 at 15 years old. Granted it was less than $800 then (1986) but that was a lot of money then for a bass. Also learned that a fancy expensive bass did not make me sound like Chris Squire or Geddy Lee, but it was a worthwhile lesson.

Now I'm in my mid 30's with a family, and putting my oldest son through college. I am a "weekend warrior" in a newly formed blues band dedicating 1 or 2 nights weekly to rehearsal and hope to gig regularly. In the last few years I have bought a nearly mint MIM Fender P used for $225 and a Hondo ABG for $125 and have used both of those for paying gigs and will continue to do so. Other than a possible fretless in the future I am perfectly content with what I have.

You can play bass without spending a fortune. ;)

15. G2K

G2K Guest

Jul 21, 2008
    Simcoe County, ON. CA.

A skilled or talented player can pretty much make any playable instrument sing, where as an unskilled, untalented player can make the best instruments "bark" I see no reason why your 5 large can't get you a good solid instrument. Save a little and in time you'll have enough to get "the one"

16. Just dropped $1,700 for a new American Deluxe Ash Jazz Bass in Butterscotch Blonde with a maple neck ($2,159 everywhere on the internet). Matches my American '52 Hot Rod Telecaster and American Deluxe Ash Strat! Also have a '72 Slimline Telecaster (Natural Ash/maple of course).

Bought a new American Standard Telecaster in natural ash with a maple neck two week ago and swapped it with my son for a vintage 1975 USA Jazz Bass (natural ash & maple too - good taste runs in the family).

Agree that sooner or later you learn you can get a great instrument that is also a great investment (if you keep it!).

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have spent nearly $5k on a vintage Fender P - it's still my favorite bass to play - but that was a strange anomaly of money and opportunity meeting. If I was to buy another bass in my current situation, I'd probably be looking at things in the $1000-1500 range.

Howver, since I recent spent $3k to renovate my rig, I don't forsee buying a new bass any time soon. Besides, I'm in the strange position of having no bass GAS at the moment.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The price of a bass has nothing to do with whether or not it's a good bass for you. And, saving up for something special only makes it more special.

19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I think really it is all relative. I am no longer 20 and making $7 per hour. I have been playing for 30 years. I make a good living and play a bunch. I can afford a $3000 bass if I want. The key is IF I WANT. Right now, I don't want to. I have spent $1300 on a bass. A Mod G5. Used - a great price. Shop around. ALOT!!! Shop everyday on every website you can think of. Do not be in a hurry. I have bought a few Made in America types of basses for $500, but you need to do a lot of searching the net.

20. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, about 5 years ago, overtime was much more abundant and disposable income was much higher for me. I also was in the mindset of wanting to try everything I could get my hands on to find "my" sound. I spent $3333.00 on a new bass back then.

Lately, i'm lucky to work an entire 40 hour work week and my disposable income is much less. I also have a better understanding of what I like, so I have no regrets making a couple of very expensive (for me) bass purchases that I made. For instance, I found out I am a 4 string guy all the way. It's just "me".
    I also will probably never buy new again. As i've finally figured out that used, preferably here on TB, is the way to go to save mucho dinero;)