Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the longest time you've been in a band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Less than 6 months.

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Less than a year.

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. More than a year.

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Two years and up...

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  5. Five years and up.

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Seven years and up.

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Over ten years.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Over 15 years.

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just wonderin' how stable (or unstable) your band situation is.

My first band, Fingerprint, lasted two years with no personnel changes until I quit (big mistake). I joined a band that was well known around town and gigged every weekend. Problem was, the gigs were horrible and I had no input in the choice of material. I quit and Fingerprint (which tried to make it with another bassist) regrouped witht e original lineup and lasted another 6 months.

I've been ith my current band since the end of '01. We had a different drummer and a keyboard player. The group played a couple of gigs and then we went our separate ways. The following year, the singer called me again. This time, there was a guitarist and a different drummer. That drummer quit and now we have a new drummer and the lineup seems complete.

What's your story?:p

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Three years (as pianist). In fact it's the only band I've stayed in for any length of time really (excluding College bands).

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hard to measure. I was in a covers band that lasted through my VIth years (two years). I then went to university and we did three or four gigs over the next couple of years. We definitely didn't do anything after that, although it never officially got wrapped up... I've plumped for more than two, less than five.

Wulf

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've been in my current band for a little over 5 years now. I also play in another band that I've been in for over 4 years.

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have been in the same Zeppelin tribute band since 1986, My original band GO has been together since 98, My newest band Peg-Head has been together a year and a half!

6. Current band is just a couple of months old, although the guitarist and I played in a band from 71 until 77, during those years it was the same lineup except for a drummer change.

7. i was in a band called Evas Nineveh for 8 months and we played out of town shows and won a battle of the bands for a big radio station out of town then they kicked me out.

i got bitter and joined 2 guys i knew from the local scene who had made some comedy cds and we made Banjo Pussy Whistle a real band with Funkmetal songs. in the summer of 'o2 we recorded a demo called To Be Announced. we have played all around roswell for months and in december we played a show with Tub Ring from Chicago. we canned our original guitarist 3 weeks ago and got the guy that produced our demo.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Been in several bands over the years that made it two years - but none even close to five. Just over two years seems like 'average life expectancy' for my bands, or my tenure in them, at least... Looks like that range is getting the most votes, too.

Demise of those 2 years plus bands:
    1. The Pierres - singer left town mysteriously.
    2. Uncle Virus - kinda fell apart - in part due to me flaking, but the band never regrouped/continued without me.
    3. Nogponjami - bailed to join Special Attachments, whose formation I had brokered by hooking up some friends. This band continued for a year or a little more, further in debt and further from a record deal than when I left (no regrets bailing!).
    4. Special Attachments - songwriter/leader moved out of town.

Love your band name, evilbrian9 :D

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    it'll be a year in february

bp13

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been in Lucid Dreamer and Vinny & The Jets for over 10 years.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in the early '80s, we had a pretty popular bar band around here called Jason & The Jets. Very, very good guitarist & bassist, a decent drummer, & Jason on keys.
    ...eventually they dumped the "weakest link" & became And The Jets.
    ;)

I'm usually in 2 bands...
    I have been in this fun New Country parody band for 10 years now(?). Damn.
    My other projects tend to be of the 'original'/some cover variety. Unforunately, those don't last long enough.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    About 7 years for me...

It´s me, my brother and our friend. We have been in a band since 1996.

We first got a singer in 2001, fired him and now we have a new singer which we got last december.

There´s simply nothing better then to play music with your friends, and doing so for such a long time.

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    My current band. 3 years

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Me, my guitarist Richie & drummer Chris have been in Theorem for 8 years. We have a new (not new anylonger) singer Darren for about 4 years now.

Rich & Chris have been in the same band for about 15 years now.

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    2 years and 2 months for me at the moment (TOBER)

16. thanks secretdonkey! i also have a side project of semi techno all programed music called Japanese Raccoon Fight.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I played in an originals band, for more than 2 years. An opportunity opened up in a local band "Destory All Monsters" featuring Mike Davis, bass(MC5) and Ron Ashton, guitar (Iggy & the Stooges). They asked me to join them.

I should've went for the fame and the chicks. Even if only for a short while. Youth is wasted on the young.:(

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    2 years as a bassist. It rocked. The drummer did not. band broke up when we found out he smacked his girl around. His girl now my girl, he move to colorado.

Sorry, i no longer talk in broken speech.;)

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Current band - just over a year
    Last band - 6 years, although when I left the only original member left(besides me) was the drummer.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...about a year, I believe. I quit because the guitar player didn't like that I'm more rhythm oriented that bashing out root notes to the melody, and the lead singer and I never quite saw eye to eye.

Of course, I didn't know this about my guitar player untill my drummer told me they were looking for a replacement, and weren't going to tell me untill I was replaced. I still talk to the drummer.