Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the loudest concert you've been to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 10, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mine was UFO and Judas Priest in Chicago sometime in the early 80's. I couldn't hear for an entire week after that. My ears kept ringing, and it created some wierd side effects. I kept shaking my head from side to side as if there was water in my ears. And I'd be walking down the street as though I was looking for something. Great show though! :)

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yeah, priest/maiden in the early 80's always left my ears ringing

3. Type O Negative with Lacuna Coil was particularly loud. Of course, I was standing right up front next to the P.A., that might have had something to do with it.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Victor Wooten Live in america 2003 @ the knitting factory
    Because it was a small venue

or

Primus Tour De framage @ The Orpheum
    Because they are a loud band

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Fishbone @ Rutgers circa 1991 with Primus opening (and I was at a few Priest shows in the 80s too :eek: )

Fishbone moved sooooo much air my jeans were flapping like I was standing in a North-Easter!!!! Luckily after a decade of metal shows, my ear protection came with me :eek:

6. I didn't think they were very loud.

Pearl Jam was a lot louder, when I saw them.

And small venue shows tend to be a lot louder anyways.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Jeff Beck and St. Vitus

The Zimmer's Hole/Devin Townsend Band/SYL evening was almost unbearable too.

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    SoundGarden 1990 (Small club, felt dizzy from the bass)

Metallica 1998 1500 seater(half filled) Even with ear-plugs, it was so loud that I could not really enjoy it.

9. Rage Against the Machine @ the Palace of Auburn Hills, the Battle of Los Angeles tour ... I had floor tix and I was fairly close to the mains for a short while. That was simply unbearable, I had to move further away. Can't remember if I had earplugs at that show, maybe for part of it. That was also the rowdiest mosh pit I've ever been in; I was getting my ass kicked so severely in the middle of the pit that I can barely imagine what it was like up front; never experienced anything like it...

A punk show (No Use For A Name and a couple others) at St Andrews in Detroit was also pretty memorable as I spent the entire concert leaning against the bass bin. I didn't bring earplugs to shows back then either...bad idea! :meh:

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Pantera. We were in a smallish hockey arena that had metal walls. Ouch!

Pushmonkey at Trees in Dallas was crazy loud too. But they were SO good!

I bring earplugs to all shows now. I can't really enjoy the show when it's that loud. It's just stupid.

11. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Ditto. I was deaf for awhile after seeing them. I was really young then.

That show also left me deaf for a day or two. Sixth row will do that to you though. A great show!

Oh, and Manowar was pretty damn loud too. But thats all I can remember about that show.

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    It's a toss between The Who and Iron Maiden circa 1982. Haven't seen any shows that even approached that type of volume since then.

( and no, I haven't suffered any hearing loss over the years.....)

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Iron Maiden on the Seventh son of a Seventh son tour.

Close second was King's X, at some dive on lower Greenville a few months ago. Even with good earplugs, my ears rang the next day.

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    AC/DC's Highway to Hell tour in '79 with Bon Scott at the
    Long Beach Arena. I've had tinnitus in my right ear ever since.
    It was so loud it blurred my vision and made my fillings vibrate,
    especially when Angus played up high on that damn SG!!!
    Priest and Sabbath didn't even come close.....

15. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Prong, at what used to be the Ritz in ybor city, tampa. nasty loud, hurt my head.

16. Motorhead.

There is a reason they are considered the loudest band in the world...and i now know why ;)

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Poison and David Lee Roth at the Oakland Coliseum. I was on the floor and it was, literally, stunning. This was back around the end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s (can't remember exactly when) and Vai was playing with him. I may have suffered some sort of brain damage. . . after all, I did go to a David Lee Roth concert!

18. Sixth row! You bastard! I was in like, the 600th row. It sucked! Les about 3 inches tall.

But I was a lot closer to him when I saw Frog Brigade at the old lupos.

Man, he's so good live. :bassist:

19. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    The Scorpions in 1984 (or maybe 85 :smug: ) with Fastway opening up for them. Inside the old Cap Center in Largo, MD.

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Metallica play pretty loud, great stuff. :bassist: :bassist: