whats the meanest thing a salesperson from sam ash has ever said to you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Aug 26, 2004.

1. heres mine
    "Do you have any money on you or are you just wasting my time?"
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's not mean - that's just honest and practical - if you think that's mean - you 'aint lived!! ;)
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to put your pants back on!"
  4. Bruce Lindfield

So...that's what you meant by "hangin' out" at music stores!! :meh:

5. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002

Yeah, but if you DID have $$, would you still buy from that guy? I wouldn't. I've been in similar situations, and when the salesperson treated me like that, I pulled out my money, showed it to him and told him I was going to buy from someone else.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Well I never have much money in my pocket and have never paid for anything at a music store, other than by credit card or interest-free credit !! ;)

I could still think of far "meaner" things to say and I'm sure I've heard them said!!

But that's his job isn't it - to keep the store clear of timewasters!! :smug:
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I agree.
  8. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    i'd have flashed my wad (calm down, I meant wad of money) at him and said 'yep, and i'm going to spend it elsewhere.. bye bye'

being looked down on by music shop assistants is pretty much as humiliating as it gets... when you're young, these people are as close as you get to real rock stars... then you come to realise they're mostly one step up from MacDonalds assistants
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Why would you have to worry about that?

Here is some advice.

1. Find out where all the local guitar stores are located
    2. Make friends/acquaintances at every store
    3. Treat them with respect and don't waste their time
    4. Don't bother them too much

I promise that you will be treated fine everytime.

About the first post, how long were you in the store. If it was a more than an hour, I can totally understand his comment.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Probably one step down - I know that in the UK a lot of University graduates are working in fast-food joints - whereas, I'm pretty sure that all the music store guys were "drop-outs"!! ;)

I was just sayin that as an insult - the post that started this thread, is pretty low down on the list and would be like "water off a duck's back to me" :meh:

Now if he'd said to me, for example - "aren't you a bit old to be a rock star, sir" - now that would have got me going!!! :D
  11. well, what the guy said was still not very nice, of course if he said, "...or are you wasting your time..." that'd be nothing. i work in a bakery and if you say anything like that to the customers who just come in and eat the free sample donuts and drink the complimentary coffee, i'd be canned in a minute.
  12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, the thread wasn't started as, "What's the worst thing a music store employee has ever said to a customer?" It was simply "What's the worst thing that's ever been said to you."

But, then, when has a simple question not been a chance for one of Bruce's patented "Smart ass, pointless comment with winky smiley" posts....oh, wait--almost forgot. ;)

For the record, if someone asked me if I had any money, or if I was wasting his time, I'd show him the money, let him help me for an hour, and THEN tell him that I realized that I both had the money AND I was wasting his time for being a jacka$$.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Well - have you answered the question ? Strange how people are keen to give advice to others but not follow it themselves? :meh:

And I am not allowed to state my opinion that it wasn't all that mean? :meh:

I just think that if that's the meanest thing that has happened to you - then you've had a pretty easy life and I think it's a public service to keep it real!!
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This must be an example of that human quality that we lose by doing transactions over Ebay, eh Bruce? :smug:

brad cook
  16. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have never had a sales person approach me at a Sam Ash. They are usually to busy bull@$#&*!g behind the counter or complaining to each other about their jobs or other employees. The employees sort of reminds me of Wal Mart employees.

I did over hear one making a semi-rude sexual comment about my daughter and her friend while they were looking at amp's.

I confronted him on it and told him one of them was my daughter. He got real uncomfortable and said, Uh sorry dude. He then took off to the acoustic guitar room and stayed in there till we left.

Of course no one offered to help them make a choice but another sales guy walked up to them and told them he needed the cord they were using. He took the cord from them walked over to the guitar section pluged in and started playing a Strat. He wasn't helping anyone by the way.

I guess he figured since they were teenagers they did not have any money and would be wasting his time.

We went to Ontario music and they bought the amp there.

I hate Sam Ash. I Will never buy anything there.
  17. nah i was there for about 5 min just asking about amp related things...i wasnt like continously bothering the guy or anything..when he asked me that i was just felt like leaving the store that second. Just for the record, I did have money on me.
  18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

not really anything they said , as much as the way they ignored me...

our local Sam Ash store has a large selection , and i thought i'd pick up an Ampeg SVP-PRO .
    anyway , i went by on my lunch hour , { in my company uniform}and was ignored by the bass dept. guys .
    i know they saw me , cuz they all turned their heads away at the same time ... i guess they decided the guy in the dorky looking uniform was a NO SALE ...

i left and spent my money at Century Music where i was treated with conversation and interest .
  19. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I don't take any crap from $8 an hour salespeople anymore.
    The last time one got mouthy with me, I wrote a couple letters and made a few phone calls. I got an apology and
    a bunch of free merchandise. That guy got his walking papers
    in less than 48 hours.
  20. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Businesses in America spend billions of dollars trying to get
    people to come thru their doors. It's what they do once
    you're in that makes them or breaks them.