1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the meaning to Stairway to Heaven

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by duo8675309, Apr 15, 2006.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Its a really good song, but I don't get its meaning. I know its not about Satan so don't even bring that up. I would join in the conversation, but I have a headache and I'm tired. Not in the mood to think...

2. From songfacts.com:

Here's the link for more info.

3. I thought it was about a drug addicted lady....

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    There's words? I thought it was just a way to show you could play guitar and get chicks.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Cool Tune.

6. Actually.....:)

The lyrics themselves have nothing to do with Satan but the whole backmasking thing, that's real. I say this because , as a huge Zep fan I decided to backmask IV one day. Over the part "Yes there are two paths....." , backwards " Heres to my sweet Satan" in a almost chipmunk like voice. Before that theres something about a woodshed but I couldn't figure out the rest.

7. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    That song is just for fun. It's so Plant could look at screaming groupies, smile, and tell them words which they wont understand, will make them crazy for him, and which mostly mean women are silly. Almost all Led Zep songs are this way, its their charm ;)

Listen to Your Time Is Gonna Come or Thats The Way you'll see what I mean

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I believe it's an accident, but Jimmy being into the occult and buying Aleister Crowleys ( yes Ozzies Mr. Crowley) Mansion just fed to the whole thing.

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I wouldn't even go so far as calling them 'accidents.' You hear something if you're looking for it, other than the ones that were done on purpose.

10. See the FBI investigation into "Louie, Louie."

Serious.

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Some accidents, some not. Pink floyd is awesome, Beatles was on purpose and a publicity stunt. Stairway? We'll never know. Queen was probably an accident, and so was Britney Spears.

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    What if I say that I've never heard the song?

13. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Then you should go listen to it - it's a classic.

14. "
    Ha, what about " Satan eats Cheezewiz?

15. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i always heard it was about heroin- but there is no better song without a chorus...

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The song has something to do with Lord of the Rings.

:D

-Mike

17. Is the Floyd one real?
    that's hilarious!

18. Well I just used Audacity and tried the Stairway to Heaven one for myself and honestly I'm thinking those files were doctorted some way on that site. If I really stretched myself to hear what the guy says is on there, I hear only the very end slightly. My file of the reversed is significantly different than is though. Not nearly as clear or annunciated words, so I don't know what to believe haha.

19. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    So Jimmy Page said that Plant won't tour with him as he doesn't feel "comfortable" with the lyrics to some of the old Zep tunes. Pages response was "So change them, Dolly Parton did!"

Check out Dolly's full bluegrass version of Stairway, with her lyric elaborations.