Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the minimum wattage/speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Dec 30, 2005.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    that you would bring to a gig in a building the size of a highschool gymnasium? Three piece rock with no PA support for the bass... :(

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Lots of variables there.

30 years ago folks played that sort of thing with a 60w combo; see early Beatles.

These days it depends on whether you want to be heard or need to damage the walls for your style of music. That is a HUGE space and usually has a high ceiling and bright walls and such- it will take a lot of power and reflect most of it in ways you don't want.

Good question (bump).

3. Try to put your amp in a corner, this will also give you a little more advantage if you don't have that much power.

I've played a highschool venue (without the high ceilings though) with a Peavey Century 200 bass head and a 8 ohm 15" speaker. That means the Peavey wasn't even delivering 100 watt into the speaker. I survived. That was one year ago and with a drummer + 2 guitarists in a poprock band.

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Bring as much wattage and speakers as you can afford! Watts are like guns...I'd rather bring em and not need em, than need em and not have em!

5. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Here's what Im bringing...Yba-200 (200 watt tube) into Ampeg 8X10 (4ohm) and an Avatar 212 8ohm. (2 ohmish load?) Also have Sans BDDI for more boost if need be. I set up last night with just the head and Ampeg...couldn't hear much bass, and I was turned up :(