Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the most $$$ bass ever?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I remember reading recently that one of John Entwhistle's basses went for about $100k at auction. Has anyone ever heard of a bass costing more than that? Or is that the single most expensive bass ever?

Just curious.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    eer... theres the primus fellas $1.000.000 bass.

3. Im not sure about basses, but i remember seeing some vintage Gibson guitars all ranging from $50 000 to $100 000

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm guessing you're talking about the Carl Thompson "$10,000,000" bass, which does not belong to Les Claypool. The name for that bass is a joke made by Carl and his crew-it doesn't cost $10,000,000.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  6. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Well, I remember a couple of years back that Stuart Spector made a bass out of 30,000 year old wood that was found in the bottom of a quarry. He had it at NAMM (I have a picture of him holding it on my office wall), and I don't know exactly what he ended up getting for it, but he was starting at $20,000. I believe he ended up getting a good deal more than that.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sure you do....

...but then why did you write that post?

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Did you know what i was talking about...? yes, well in that case my post served its purpose as a tool to express meaning.

So get off my case, you bloody pedant.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Far better to be a pedant than a pederast.

Before you get in a snit, I don't mean to imply that anyone's a pederast. It just sounds funny.

10. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    the most |ve seen are

Holy Grail Beatles Bass on ebay for 65,000 (before any bids)
    and and Old Busted Fender J for 35,000 on ebay.