1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the most "Burnin" recording you know of?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Dingle, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'm personally not good at playing uptempo (walking) so for the past 3 months I've been getting really into it and putting it into my practice sessions. I'm wondering what are some crazy fast recordings of tunes where the band is killing. I've been listening to the Miles record Four & More with So What, Walkin, and Joshua. All three are crazy.

2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    This is pretty good... and it has a very good DB solo in it also

3. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Burnin means fast in this context :)

seang15 likes this.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    OK, good luck with that. Since you didn't seem to find the items posted of any use I went ahead and deleted it.

5. grapevine

grapevine Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Los Angeles

hdiddy likes this.
  6. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    This has to be on the list:

Buddy Rich with Sammy Davis, Come Back to Me

Anyone know where I might find the parts for this arrangement?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  7. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Have you tried looking in HELL? I think Buddy took the charts with him...
    (jk)
    Thanks and Sorry!

DC Bass and fantasticplanet like this.
  8. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Good tip! I was hoping to play it sooner, but if not, when I get there I'll check with him.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Need Gigs, DC Bass and Don Kasper like this.
  9. fantasticplanet

fantasticplanet

Oct 14, 2013
    seattle
    if you're talking strictly about tempo, for me the main thing would be to listen to alot of bebop (particularly parker, dizzy, and bud powell). tommy potter's ability to walk at those tempos without letting up for so long is just amazing, but he doesn't get the respect that i think he deserves. other bassists to listen to for uptempo walking are nhop and eddie gomez. i really like eddie gomez's walking in particular, because his tone is so bright and he makes great use of ghost notes to help it swing harder.

also check out some early coltrane (russian lullaby and countdown in particular), 2nd miles davis quintet (four and more like you mentioned, and also the plugged nickel box set), jaco (invitation off the birthday concert is ridiculous), nhop and joe pass, art blakey, and clifford brown and max roach. and mr bungle and naked city if you're weird.

i don't know if i've heard any straight ahead jazz faster than this:

as far as really fast, intense playing, but not necessarily fast tempos, i would check out eric dolphy, coltrane again, scott lafaro (my favorite bassist personally), dave holland (check out global citizen), freddie hubbard, and oscar peterson.

10. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California

seang15, fantasticplanet and hdiddy like this.
  11. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'm sorry I wasn't able to listen to them. I was just clarifying my meaning. If you post them again I have time to listen to them today. Sorry for confusion.

DC Bass likes this.
  12. There is a Kenny Baron trio with Dave Holland on Enja, a couple real fast ones from Bernie Wallace in the 80s. There is a moment when cocaine and amplifiers became the order of the day - horrendous tones but some super fast walking! Check out Arild AndersonMolde Concert, too!

SteSte likes this.
  13. Pre-amp I'd go with Sonny Dallas on Lee Konitz' Motion and the original Henry Grimes on either Don Cherry quartet, Complete Communion or Where's Brooklyn?

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA

seang15, Tom Lane and damonsmith like this.
  15. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Also this one. They get going on the head.

There's an early recording of Jimmy Raney doing Cherokee in Paris that's absolutely ripping but I can't find it on Youtube.

Some of these recordings, sometimes it seems like they can't get the notes out fast enough. I prefer the stuff where they're in total control and the phrases come out easily.

16. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Sam Jones

And more recently John Webber

hdiddy likes this.
  17. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Michael's post reminded me of this one, with a very young RH. Curtis Lundy.

18. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    My favorite thing about that video might be Victor's shirt.

Don Kasper likes this.
  19. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Seriously though, i remember Kenny Washington saying that Curtis from that time had the best feel at that tempo, K-Wash not a man who gives it up very easily or often

hdiddy likes this.
  20. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

...This from a man playing a 10th and wearing a Tux in his avatar?