what's the most challenging song you've ever mastered.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by furiously funky, May 26, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    there seem to be some ...good musicians hangin' around talk bass, and i was wondering what piece has challenged you to the most lately (or ever) for me, I'm supposed to play Marcus Millers POWER in 3 days, and i'm challenged. I'll get it, but like i said a challenge. I'm intorested to hear what the better musicians find challenging and for what reasons.
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    belongs in misc...

but to answer the question...prolly some less than jake song (jonny quest thinks we're sellouts most likely)

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Chromatic fantasy....but I haven't quite mastered that one yet.

I guess "classical thump" I haven't mastered it either, but I can play the whole thing, and it's more than adequate for my liking.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The hardest song I've mastered is Birdland. Thats quite the song, really great funky groove :cool:

Other things high on my list of accomplishments are Tom Sawyer by Rush, and Californication by RHCP.

Right now, my current projects include Portrait of Tracy, Moonlight Sonata by Stu Hamm, and One by Metallica.
  5. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i hear ya on classic thump! I can't even handle the first triple slap part. (big sigh:()
    good job
  6. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    on bass-
    Teentown. I dont have it 100 percent down pat.
    I have most of it though.

on drums-
    my new prog/metal/experamental(did I mention experamental) solo project. ALL Instrumental, full of odd Times, tribal beats and weirdness in General. Ive got some nice nice basslines too. Im composing the song in MIDI before I record em, and getting the feel down to them track by track. heres a midi of a song I call "pace". Its more on the Techno/weirdness side of things. Im gonna have this in Full Digital audio(this song) by the end of summer I hope.
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey Foxy, what midi program do you use?
  8. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    actually i use Guitar pro 3 ;)
    How you like them apples?!
    Its a fun little program, =)
  9. portrait of tracy is my best so far, i think.
  10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I don't really have many actual long songs down yet, i've messed around on the intros to Sinister Minister, i have most of birdland down, & then some various other songs. The hardest riff for me to learn was one from Never Dance during our show choir show. Uses some syncopated slap-pop stuff that really messed with me until i sat down & worked it out.

I use GP3 & GP4 [i think that's the one] to write some stuff. If you go to www.mysongbook.com and look up Cam Mac that's me. Thats all
  11. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

U can't hold no groove, I spent a few weeks practicing that song (the bass day 98 version, I like that version even more than the one on the Show of hands CD) there's a lot of triplets and 2 hand tapping going on, that's my favorite song ever;)
    For the triplets I use thumb down, thumb up and pluck triplets, open string, hammer and pluck triplets, and (my favorite) index (pluck) midle (pluck) and thumb (slap) triplets, for the 2 hand tapping parts I try to use my 4 left hand fingers and 3 with my right hand (my pinky is kind of weak) :bassist:
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just learned "me and my bass guitar" it wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be, it only took me about an hour, and I feel like I have it nailed though.

It's slowly becoming my favorite song to jam on...it has such a tasty malleable groove.
  13. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It's been a little while since I used this one, but...

14. OK, maybe it's no big deal for some of you, but I got "Roudabout" and "Kid Charlemagne" nailed down pretty well. :bassist:
  15. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Probably "Justice" by Victor Wooten, a couple of years ago. I don't think I really "mastered" it per se, but I could pull it off.

I've never been a particularly big fan of learning other people's stuff note-for-note...
  16. Ditto. I play a funkier version of "Proud Mary" because the original is so boring to me. I play a cover song note for note only when I believe it has the perfect bass line, which is, of course, very subjective.
  17. Yeah, I second that, oh and maybe Ruby Soho by Rancid...but they're not even that impressive *sigh*
  18. maxwell murder is pretty good.. on bass.

My biggest challenge, was probably 'Come On, Come Over'. Maybe there's harder, but that chorus... ai ai ai!!!

I'm working on Portrait Of Tracy now, but there's no way I'll be able to play that for a while. Still trying to get the harmonics to ring nicely, and building up the timing... :)
  19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

"Some Skunk Funk" by the Brecker Brothers.
    This song is plain sick.