Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the most cost-effective way for a UK TBer to get a Supporting Membership?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Dec 1, 2002.

1. I've finally got a steady enough in flow of cash to become a supporting member here, but I need to know the best way to do it. I've heard enough PayPal horror stories to steer me away, and the international money order thing seems very expensive. Which is the preferred method of you UK SM's?

P.S. Note to Paul - how about a secure TB server-side payment system? Hundreds of other, smaller sites have one, e.g. nameless online stores. Why none for us? ;)

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    use PAYPAL, is much easier for Paul

sure there are horror stories but you are just paying $20 :rolleyes:

I mean, come on, it's not like you are buying something expensive and getting ripped because it didn't arrive or paypal stole your money (also you are not dealing with UPS here)

I used paypal for this supporting fee and another for another forum and no complains here

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that's a good suggestion, please go ask him in the "Suggestion box"

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I used PayPal. I've had no problems. The only annoying thing is that I wasn't already signed up to PayPal, and part of signing up is them charging you $1.95, then you waiting for the next bloody bank statement so you can give 'em the 4 digit code, so they can refund the $1.95 and complete your membership.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I waited months for that :(
    but that's a one time only thing :)

6. The problem is that my bank account is not a credit system. I cannot write cheques with it or charge things to the card. Therefore, I'd have to use the parents account and geting hold of a monthly statement would be more trouble than its worth!

Has anyone gone the money order route?

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I paid my fee twice per money order. Pretty fast, about a week or so til Paul renewed my membership.
    Only drawback was the 7 Euro fee for a 20$ International Money Order.

8. How exactly does a money order work? I know you walk into the bank, but do I send it to the US myself, or does the bank arrange all that?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was very dubious about PayPal - it was a pain and I have also heard horror stories about net fraud!

What I did was to go into the nearest American Express office - they are everywhere, no excuses!! - and got an international money order in dollars. This is insured against loss etc. and far safer than any other method as far as I could see. I just put it in an envelope and sent it to Paul - he got it in 2 or 3 days. Easy!! ;)

10. Was that Airmail or something? That's a LOT of first-class stamps ;).

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I went to my bank and asked them how it worked. They essentially give you a cheque (not a check) made out to the person or company you designate. You give it to that person or company.

I sent mine first class (42p) and Paul got it a week later.

12. Bruce Lindfield

13. Thanks everyone, I'll nip into the bank tomorrow and have a chat with them about it!

14. I dropped $20 in an envelope and sent it to Paul with a note with my user name and password. It took a week to get there.

15. Bruce Lindfield

While the American Express option may be a little more expensive, I chose it, as it was insured and therefore safer if the envelope was lost in the post - I could have claimed all the money back.

I thought that was important as I wanted to send more money then the minimum- but I didn't want to just "throw it away" if it got lost. The Amex money order in dollars is also virtually like cash - making it easier for Paul! :)