What's the most embarrassing thing you've seen on stage?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have 2. The first one was in Miami in '89. This group was REALLY stinking up the joint, so the audience, about 3000 strong, started singing, "Would you please - get off - the stage!", while swaying from side to side with their thumbs in the air motioning for them to go. It was a beautiful sight! One of the guys started to get tears in his eyes. That was VERY funny!:D

The second one was this funk band opening for Wayman Tisdale, and they were horrible, and on top of that, their songs were VERY long!:eek: So during the bridge of one of these "epic" tunes, the lead singer yells to the crowd, "Y'all want some more?", and the crowd yells, "NO!" He gives the band a strange look as if to say, "Maybe I heard wrong." So he asked the band to lower the volume, so he could ask again, and the crowd responds with, "NOOOOOO!" I swear I heard some people say "God no!" So he stops the music and says to the audience, "Y'all trippin'. You know this funk is good to you!", and somebody yells, "It is now, since y'all stopped playing!" He quietly left the stage, and the band began breaking down their own gear. They wouldn't even let the roadies help them. The musicians were good, but the songs and the singing sucked. Someone once told me that Wayman has lousy opener acts on purpose, so he'd look that much better. :rolleyes:
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Only the singer falling on his arse in the middle of a tune and trying to play it off.

Also an impromptu pole-dancing competition broke out in the audience directly in front of me one. I became the de facto judge. BIG thumbs up!
  3. Coolio that the BAMMIES 1998.

He did his thing and NOT ONE PERSON CLAPPED.
    Dead Silence. Then Tom Petty took the stage and the place went wild. Tom then proceeded to make a comment about "knowing what the people want."

I "almost" felt sorry for the guy.
  4. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I didn't see it first hand, BUT, let me share....
    My band trades shows with another one that has worked very hard to "perfect" their image. All leather pants, smoke machines, candelabras, shirtless, you get the point. It's ALL ABOUT fronting like they're the jammy jam. They're at a show, doing the big rock ending to a tune and the lead singer starts performing a patented move (my band calls it "the judo chop") in which he really gets into the music. In the midst of the dramatic antics, he wraps the monitor cable around his leg, and on the final chord, falls straight off the front of the stage. Nobody catches him. The monitor and the mic stand go down in the process. Priceless.
    The best part is that it was video taped. We got to know these guys well enough that they let us watch it. We spent a good 10 minutes watching and rewinding.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    That's classic!:D
    I was at an Angela Winbush concert, and after one of her songs, everyone applauded, but Al B Sure was in the audience, and he gave her a standing ovation. After everyone stopped clapping, he remained standing to get some "face time", and some guy yelled out, "Sit your punk ass down!", and everyone started laughing, including some of her band members. He never stood up again.
  6. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    I remember seeing a band once who had the distinction of playing a big party before and after Earth, Wind and Fire. The band I was playing with at the time was relegated to the small tent, while these guys boasted about playing the big tent, and sharing with EWF. Well, they did their first set to an empty house, while our tent was filled to the capacity, and there was a line outside. When we finished, the audience quietly filed over to the big tent to watch EWF, and when they were done, the audience quietly filed back over to our tent to hear us again, leaving the other band playing to crickets again.

My own embarrassing moment: I used to do a Mr. Big tune in a show, that had a flashy Bass solo intro. While performing this song, I got a severe nose bleed. The place I was playing was reknown for its food, but food sales decreased greatly that night.
  7. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    The first part of a Rage against the machine's concert was a stupid belgian rap band... we threw them plactic glasses of cokes and stuff like that.. one of these guys left the stage in the middle of a song..:D an other one insult the crowed just after dodging a plastic glass... :D
    A big part of the mosh pitt turned themselves to show their backs..
    Than the rap band left and rage came !
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    some hugely funny stories going down here - i was pissing myself at yours, geoffzilla :D

one of my friends is the drummer/vocalist in quite a well-known Melbourne punk act called "Subject To Change", and back in the day when i was playing and growling for my freak-rock outfit (featured on the TB station somewhere, i think), we used to play a fair few gigs alongside them.
    one night we were all doing a battle of the bands-type affair at a small nightclub, and they went on a few sets after ours. they're a three-piece, and while they're a fairly tight and inventive group (they do an absolutely hysterical version of "Barbie Girl"), most of their fame derives from the fact that their bass player is a complete nutcase. you know the deal - getting completely liquored-up before every show, jumping ten feet in the air, smacking into everything, cracking constant derogatory comments at members of the audience, barely playing anything half the time, ad nauseam.

so we're offstage and chilling down amongst the expectant crowd with a few brews, waiting for them to come on. eventually, they do.
    as they go to start the first tune with an almight accented open A, Dave (bassist) leaps high into the air to time it so that he comes down right as the note sounds. as soon as he lands, boom! his hemp strap breaks at the clip, sending his treasured Mexican P-Bass crashing arse-first into the floor. the other two guys didn't seem to notice, and kept right on playing, so poor Dave is break-dancing around on the stage attempting to play his bass without a strap. god i was about to bust a gut; he's a real skinny guy with gangly limbs, and to see him writhing around on the ground attempting to support his heavy-ass Precision on his thigh and play it like an upright was possibly one of the funniest things i've ever seen. to make matters worse (or better :)) one of the techs ran up on stage with a spare strap and started attempting to unhook Dave's broken one and attach the new one as he was "playing" - needless to say they ended up entwined on the floor together with Dave shouting something about rape :D
    they finish the song (well Dave didn't, he was still on the first verse :D), and Dave stumbles over to the lead mic to drunkenly proclaim...
    "Yeah, uh, whoever said hemp is the strongest fabric in the world is a ****en knobsticle." :p
  9. this isn't a personal 1 but it's 1 that i saw on t.v that i thaught was really funny.
    i couldn't sleep one night so i decided i'd flick through the channels when i came to Green Day playing live, so i sat down to watch it, they finished thier song and then the Offspring came on tho do a few songs (i can't remember what the festival was called, but i was enjoying it!), when they had finished none other than Daphney + Celest came on to do Oh Stick U! All the way through the song the crowd were booing and throwing cups and food onto the stage and holding up "U SUCK!!!!" signs, the "girls" finished thier song and went off stage, it then showed the interview and they were all like "oh that was sooo great they really loved us, they didn't stop shoutin! but i can't understand why they were wasting all that food on us! Whe're definatly comming back next year!!"
    What idiots!
  10. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Quiet Riot.
    The night I interviewed them, they opened the show with the typical taped music, which was supposed to end as the curtain opened, and the band blasted away. The curtain got stuck, and the singer actually STOPPED the band until the curtain got fixed, and then started again. A true Spinal Tap moment.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    My friend Robert roadied for Deep Purple, and the bassist and he had this thing where in the middle of the set, he'd toss his bass to the side of the stage to Robert, and someone else would toss him another bass from the other side. Well one day, for no apparent reason, he really cursed Rob out. I mean he really ripped him a new one! So it's show time, and sure enough, they get to the bass toss moment, and the minute it left his hands, he realized WHO he was throwing to. That's right, Robert, that guy he yelled at earlier! :eek: Since we're bassists, I won't say what happened next. It's too painful to say! Let's just say, in Robert's words, "It was a bounce and split job!" After the show, Robert said that the guy sobered up and apologized to him.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I played a battle of the bands once that was pretty funny. All the bands got a soundcheck. They get to this one band dressed in a fairly humorous attempt at Aerosmith, the band starts playing apparently thinking it was the actual performance. The band was poor, but not exceptionally so, but the singer was a riot. He was dropping the mic stand and using scarves to pull it back up, etc, pure cheese. Finally, during an operatic screech, his jaw locks open and he runs outside and pukes.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yesterday I came across a tape of what is still the worst gig* I've played. It was in Aberdeen, MD on a show that included an opening band, then the group I was in followed by the same group plus a guitarist and keyboard player, backing the lead singer of EU (not Sugarbear).

The opening act played, an all-girl band that did a good job getting through the songs they had, which incidentally were the same cover songs we were doing. Nothing earth-shaking, just a good job. This for some reason made a few of the guys in my group feel rather cocky, to the point that they even said that we'd smoke the first band.

So we come onstage. Remember this is all taped. After 2-3 minutes of tuning up/noodling, we're announced. One of the keyboards dies as the song is counted off, of course it had to be the one who actually knew the song, so for the next 5 full minutes the drummer, percussionist and myself play the opening to the first song, as the other keyboard player and a few other folks wander back and forth across the stage. They finally get that fixed and find out the lead vocalist doesn't remember the lyrics so, while she dances and shakes a tambourine, the sax player plays the lead. After we get through doing this for maybe 15 minutes we finally stop. The leader calls the next song (the lead vocalist is his ex-wife) and this time she doesn't remember the words AND the sax player isn't familiar with the song so we play the entire song without a lead. Occassionally she chimed in with a couple of words at the chorus. The next song the band decides to play in three different keys...

Finally after an interminable amount of time, the headliner comes on. While the band is supposed to know the tunes he's doing, they don't, so it's one trainwreck after another. The big finale was his version of "I Like" by Guy. It took guts to call that one:D. There's a big synchopated break in the song and it was actually painful to listen to, so of course they called that part four or five times;). The song ended with that break and the camera was on the audience, just in time to catch the pained expressions, as a truly ugly gig came to an end.

Then there was the time the same leader came to me on stage in the middle of a song to talk to me... and fell off the back of the stage. In a bright red satin suit. Got that on tape somewhere, too:D

*even worse than the summer resort/winter ghost town gig in November where we played to two people (the bartender and waitress, who both clapped after every song.
  14. Cyndi Lauper - July 4th Concert 2001... (cringe...)

- Wil
  15. my friends band was playing at a carnival and they were really ****ty. my friend was playing guitar and he is really good but the rest of them suck. during the middle of the session he just walked out and cussed them out!!! it was halirious.
  16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmmm...I can smile about this afterwards, but one of my most embarrassing stories is when my band played live on national tv.
    Fortunately I didn´t screw up, but my drummer goofed up twice .

First one: (keep in mind that these are songs which we´ve rehearsed countless times).
    When we were nearing the finale of our first song, our drummer get´s a wee bit confused and stops drumming about 15secs. before the song was actually over. I and my guitarist had to end abruptly, looking like goofballs there on the stage.

Second one:
    Song nr.2 When we were about halfway through the song, our drummer drops the drumsticks, you´d have to be def, dumb(spelling?)and blind to not have noticed that one. Yet, ten seconds later after that mess, he drops them again :eek:

Oh well, as I said, I can partly smile when I think of it now
  17. Marylin Manson came to Portland a while ago, and his opening act was Courtney Love. She gets up there, get abotu half way into the first song, and gets booed off the stage for saying that "Portland can just **** me."

She hasn't come back. Aw darn.

At one of the smaller clubs I was watching a friend's bnd play when a drunk old fat guy wandered onto the stage, buck naked. Everyone just stopped. No drinking, no eating, no playing, no breathing. He walks up to the singer and mumbles something about "being a great band." Then he falls backwards off the stage. At that point the entire place starts laughing, and the band breaks into "We are the Champions." It was great.

Rock on
  18. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    At a gig about two years ago, with an old band, we were playing in Bay City, MI, and in the middle of a song when our drummer let out a REALLY nasty fart. It was toxic enough that everyone in the front row of the audience took a few steps back.

I honestly hope we weren't remembered for making THAT kind of music.
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I was reading about a gig that Hole did in Cincy. she was being her usual snotty self, but this time she was being brutal to the fans, until someone threw a shotgun shell on stage that landed at her feet. Totally shut her up, which is a miracle within itself! She walked off stage in tears.
  20. Daphne and Celeste had bottles thrown at them when they appeared at Glastonbury a couple of years ago...and worse than that the audience took advantage of the poor bathroom facilities to, ahem, fill the bottles before they threw them!