Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the most enjoyable aspect of being a bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    OK, here's a shameless attempt to get more people posting in Miscellaneous. We all love being bassists and there are certain perks that come with the job. One of my favorites is being in constant demand. Another one is the fact that as a bass player, I'm not just playing a melody or rhythms, but a combination of the two, as well as having a lot of control over the feel of a tune. (playing eigth notes instead of quarter notes makes a tune feel completely diffferent). How about you? What aspect of being a bassist do you particularly enjoy?

Will C.:cool:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the lower frequencies always moved me more. they seem much more visceral and integral to the song. i've always had a thing for rhythm too, so there ya go.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, you usually get more respect than the singer and the guitarist, who are always being cut to ribbons in the corner from every other band in town. Then, the women you, ummm....encounter, are less likely to be psychotic, and may actually like you to start with. You cover up the drummer's mistakes, and make or break the guitarist when it really counts. Other than that, not much. :D

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The most enjoyeable part of becoming a bassist for me is that I am able to stay a musician after being forced to stop drumming for physical reasons. life is good.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    This may sound kinda odd, but I think it's an empowering feeling to play a low note and feel the floor vibrate. Not that wimpy feeling crap that you get with some other instruments.

I love playing bass: I'm always getting asked to do stuff. It seems that bassists are always in demand while a freelance guitarist isn't in very high demand at all.

I also love all of the things that are dedicated to just bassists (such as this forum). And I also like how bassists are a lot more tolerable when it comes to gear choices (now remember, if you want to be any good it has to be a Marshall or a Fender) or playing styles.

6. mayfairmistress

mayfairmistress

Aug 19, 2000
    its deffinitly the floor vibration thing. i love that feeling of knowing that you can overpower your band at anytime. i also love being a big part of the band without having the spotlight on you all the time. and lets face it, we all love being bigger than the guitars.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The most enjoyable thing about bass for me - apart from the physicality, bottom end, rhythmic thing - is the fact that you can affect the sound with the way you play with your fingers. That is, that you can actually affect the tone and the shape of the note and you have direct contact with the strings.

I have also played guitar and keyboards in bands and although this can be fun too, I felt no direct "connection" with the sound that was coming out. You couldn't actually affect the tone or envelope shape by what you did with your fingers - it was often the effects or the pre-programmed sound that had more control. It felt that the instrument was more in control and not me.

With bass you actually feel the notes coming through the body and your fingers touching the strings giving you direct sensory feedback. Whereas with guitar and keyboards it always felt more like "remote control" and that I might not even be in the same room!

This is also why I would never play with a pick nowadays - I only play bass for fun and the main part of the fun for me, is feeling the strings responding to my fingers.

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I enjoy playing bass for many of the reasons already mentioned. However, I played trumpet for YEARS and have yet to connect with my bass, as I did with my trumpet. I am hoping that it will come...and I can feel my fingers connect with notes, as I once did with my breath.

9. i get my "kicks" out of playing bass from how the crowd reacts to when the bass kicks into a song. like green day does it a lot a good example is the song "when i come around" that little bass pull off in the beginning, people hear it, and think it came out of no where. its really neat to watch. i also like the fact that if your playing punk, as the bassplayer you have the right to act like a jack @$$ on stage and everywhere. also it seems like you get more respect from the drummer as a bass player because your the bridge between the drummer and guitar player, and without your the guitar player could easily get lost. i also like how you hold that "groove" in the song, like that groove that people dance to. you'll notice that people dance to the bass, and not guitar, most of the time anyways.

10. I think with me it's a power thing ! Knowing that when I put my fingers on the strings a huge sound will happen. I enjoy feeling the sound of the Bass, others have mentioned floor vibrations etc. and yes they are good but I enjoy a whole body experience, I guess I still crave standing in front of a Marshall stack, I'm 37 and I still haven't grown up !

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Groovin'.

12. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Even though floor shaking ability is a beautiful thing. I would have to say it's the control we have in a band, over how songs sound to arrangements in general. Even though we're often overlooked for the lead guitarist and the vocalist, without us there's no connection between the drums and the guitars. That magical area that hits you in the stomach when it starts, and leaves the song hollow when it's not there. It's a combination of everything said above, and everything that will be said after.

13. My favorite part is the effect I can have on the songs. Being the bridge between the drums and guitar. Making the songs feel good. I just love the role of the bass in a band, and I love playing that role.

14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    It's definitely the low frequency thing with me as well.
    I played guitar for a number of years in side projects, but never really enjoyed the "spotlight" that much. I always ( and still do) found the bass a much more interesting instrument. The low rumble, like distant thunder, has a certain ominous quality to it.

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    One of the cool things about playing bass is that when you're playing in a good groove few people really notice (especially vis a vis the vocals or even the guitar player's last great solo)BUT when you stop EVERYBODY notices.Talk about being important to the band's sound!

16. This thread brought to mind some of the analogies my teacher told me when I was a young Pup." Playing bass is like being the rudder on a ship of fools..the other guys can act like maniacs, but you're the one controlling the direction, and they all have to rely on you to get where they are going"...the other one is "if they ain't dancin', you ain't doin' your job right" Not as an Ego thing, but I always liked to be the one that people could rely on to lay down the groove.They can move the spotlight, but WE know where the real deal is, right? :D

17. mayfairmistress

mayfairmistress

Aug 19, 2000
    always and forever baby!

18. ::slaps low e-string and lets it ring...::

:D

19. ashers27

ashers27

Aug 24, 2000
    my reason, its f@?~!n' funky. simple.

20. brewer9

brewer9