Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the most expensive bass youve played?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 25, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Mine is probably a 5 string stingray at GC.I think it was around $1200 im probably wrong.Some of you guys probably own the most expensive bass youve played.:eek:

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Probably the Zon Hyperbass I own. New these things go for about $8,000!

3. I've played some Warwicks at GC that were up there around $2,000 or more. I'd say that's expensive. But it doesn't seem that expensive next to the $8,000 bass above.

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    a sadowsky for 2400 i think

5. My 1989 Warwick Dolphin Pro 1, I bought it for Singapore Dollar $4300 at Yamaha Music Center because they were the sole distributor for Warwick Basses at that time and this was back in 1989 and I can't believe I was that young! I'm 27 so just figure out how old I was when I first bought it. Mind you, this was baaaack in 1989. Heavy as hell, comes with beautiful Warwick flight case(The real deal here), a set of extra string and good ole Warwick wax. Can't afford to buy a decent head after that so I was stuck with a Peavy Head(it wasn't bad actually) and 1989 Harke 15 XL, hmm, another decade and those three are vintage.

One singapore dollar is 1.4 U.S dollar.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sadowsky 5 (don't recall the model), and Modulus Quantum.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Alembics. I owned one for a short time that retailed at ~$8k. Chump change compared to JT's Conklins;)

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I don't have a dollar cost for these but I've played a Warrior 5-string that was VERY VERY nice.
    I also got to play the very first Hamer 12-string that was developed for Tom Petersson. I don't even remember what it sold for back then.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Most "costly" is my single-neck Rob Allen (#115) [​IMG]

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    those are actually quite a bit more than 4 or 5k

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i forgot about the 2,000 warwick i played at GC.

12. Probably a Modulus Flea 4 @ Jim Laabs, which is still there (tried it almost a year ago) and is still $2200. I was afraid to do a little slappity slap slap on it in fear of having to shell out $2200!

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Michael Manring's Hyperbasses;
    Ken Bebensee Conqueror 6
    My Pentabuzz.
    Soon enough I'll be checking out a custom Conklin...

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I've played a "Pimped Out" Warrior F# 7 string ??? something or another that was supposedly in the sonic 10G range. Definetly not my style, taste or $ range. I'll keep my "Cheap" Zon & Dingwall thankyou.

ciao,
    Pyriphlegethon

15. Wal Fretless...about $2600...

16. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    My teacher's double bass, forgot the maker, but he got it for a paltry $50,000.

...how many Quantums could I get for that...hmmm.

17. Hmm, probably the Alembic Series 1.

18. I got to play Joe Osborn's original Jazz bass after I did a pickup swap to it. It was When Lakland was first researching the JO Sig bass, and Joe watched me do the swap. It's the same bass he played on a bazillion hit records since the early 60's, and should be in the Rock N' Roll hall of fame. Joe now keeps it in a vault. I have a pic of me holding it on my bench, but it's not digital, and I don't have a scanner.

Dan Lakin estimated it's worth at about $250,000, because of the signatures Joe has on it from artists he's worked with, and the fact that the bass was played on so many hits.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

An Alembic Series I 30" scale 6 string that belonged to a well known studio guy that I met through a mutual friend.

Dallas isn't known as a mecca for high end basses, but I have probably played at least 2 dozen that listed for over $3000. I know you guys in the northeast and in California have probably played 10 times that many.

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My Alembics are insured for "list replacement value". In other words, what would be the list price for a replacement today.

My 5 string custom - $11,000
    My 4 string Omega long scale - $8,500
    My 4 string small body medium scale - $7,700

Again, this is list, not what I paid. I acquired the small body for $475 and put about another $1,200 into it.

Peace,

James