1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the most # of gig's you've played in one day?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by trainwrecker, Apr 19, 2010.

1. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010
    So what's the most # of gig's you
    ve ever played in one day?

I accidentally double-booked myself, then got an offer for a third gig and took it anyway. Last Saturday I played at 1:30-3:30, then at 5-6, then again from 9:30-1:30AM. what a crazy day, I didn't do a d@mn thing yesterday!

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    2. I had a 2 hour drive to play a festival in the early afternoon, drove back and played my usual bar gig. (I think that for that one day, playing bass was actually quite lucrative.)

3. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    the most i have done is 2. but i have done that a bunch. the worst was a few weeks ago, gig WAY out in the suburbs that ran late so i grab my gear & head pack to the city ASAP only to get stuck in traffic. i made it with 3 minutes till midnight & was able to get up & running by 5 after. good thing the sound guy was about 10 minutes behind.

i love these days cause i get paid twice!

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal

Played at a show in LA that absolutely NOBODY showed up for. The went back into town and played a raging party of about 100.

Another time my band was booked to play an art gallery opening. We made $75 in tips and were all given a bottle of wine, then we headed home and played another party, where we drank all of our free wine.

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I did 5 in 2 days, 3 different instruments.

Played drums Saturday at my church from 7-8:30, rushed over to a gig that started at 9:30 to play bass.

Got up and played guitar and led worship at another church for their morning service, played a benefit on bass Sunday afternoon, and then played bass for a Sunday night gig.

I also did a summer of 2 a days for a while. (Technically 3 a day)
    Played guitar for a baptist church for their 2 morning services from 8AM -2:30, came home ate, and then led worship at another church from 4-5PM. There were a couple of times for the 4PM that I played completely on autopilot, if I had a gig the night before.

6. 6 in a span of 19 hours; of course that was over Christmas of 2001, counting each service as a gig. In a regular secular context, the number is 2, and those were both multi-set cover-band affairs.

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    5 gigs. It was a busy St Patties day...

8. I once played 12 over the course of a friday saturday and sunday.
    all paid.

1. friday morning - 8:30 am outdoor fair - church band
    2. friday afternoon - church parking lot - church band
    3. friday night - main gig with cover band
    4. saturday morning - small festival in parking lot of music store.
    5 saturday afternoon - private party for friends with cover band
    6. saturday night - night two of gig with cover band
    7. sunday morning - 8am service - church
    8. sunday morning - 9:30 AM Church
    9. sunday morning - 11 am church
    10 sunday afternoon 1 pm spanish church service
    11 sunday evening - main church evening service 6 pm
    12 sunday evening - youth group rally - 7 pm

9. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    I'm pretty sure the max was three actual gigs (ie at different venues). As far as individual performances, I once managed a ten-set-per-day schedule for seventeen days straight. One year my datebook showed I'd averaged nine gigs a week over a six-month span - that was thankfully my only flirtation with tendonitis.

The most enjoyable gig cramming I ever did was on a house gig for Expo '92 in Seville, Spain. We were playing R&B and funk in alternate sets with another band. We got to know the folks at the wine pavilion across the way and they asked us if we'd come and play some trio jazz one afternoon, so we said sure. They loved it and asked us if we'd play in the evenings, and we explained our schedule and they said "fine with us" - so we'd play a set of R&B - leap off the stage at the end of the set - throw on our suits - sprint across the road to the wine pavilion - play a set of trio jazz - sprint back across the road - play another set...

Eventually the pavilion that had brought us over changed our schedule to make it more awkward - so we changed our schedule to match, and kept on going until they finally got up the nerve to ban us from doing it outright :D

Breaks? What breaks? We doan need no steenkin' breaks, mang!

What can I say, we were kids :D

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

2 pm backing kid music school
    7 pm lounge stuff dinner
    9 pm regular funk gig
    2 am electronica party
    I don't recommend it.

I also once had the neverending wedding gig. I'm sure many of you experienced this. Started playing at roughly 3 pm after lunch and people wouldn't want to stop until 6-7 am.
    At some point you just switch to automatic mode.

11. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    maybe two or three in a row. Nothing too crazy. the 12 gigs over a weekend, I wish I was that guy. I could play for days

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I used to do a week of triples every year for bike week and biketoberfest in Daytona...I don't miss that.

13. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I have done 3 gigs in less than a 24 hour period numerous times. One weekend, I played 7 gigs in 3 days.

14. 12 services in two days.
    Just pulled 8 over 2 for Easter.
    But really that isn't a "gig". You set up once and you're done.

But 4 in one day was my max.

A noon and 2P festival hit (two different bands at AB&E for you Detroit guys), a last second call for our 5:30P service at church and a gig that night.

15. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I don't know if they count as gigs, since I only got paid for 1, but the most number of different performances for me in one day is 5 senior year in HS.
    Morning gig, like 8am, right after getting to school, I had to put on a string quintet thingy for
    Mid Morning: Teacher banquet gig thing.
    Early after noon: Jazz band gig
    Early evening: String orchestra
    (all of these were on the upright)
    Night: Covering for my buddy in his cover band (I knew none of the songs, that was a lot of fun).

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

3 states in one day.. clinic in the morning.. outdoor fair in afternoon.. night gig

17. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    When I lived on a resort island 4 to 6 a day was the norm. My best weekend was 20 from Fri to Sun. These days it's usually 5 or 6 a weekend plus 3 or 4 during the week. I must be getting old or something.

18. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Ok, this will sound like tooting my own horn or something but, one saturday I guess you could say I played 3 gigs. One at the double door in chicago friday night going into saturday, then A gig at 630 opening for the lovehammers at the house of blues, then the after party at the hard rock, wasn't even really planned to play there but they let my band do a few songs. So 3's the most I've played in a day.

19. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

2.5 or 3 depending on what you think:

The first two were at the same music festival (same stage) but with two different bands (not consecutive).
    The third gig was with the first band at a second location that evening.

20. 3 gigs was the most I have ever done in one day. A radio show, an in store appearance and a show that night; what a pain.