1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the most versatile G&L ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitrofix, May 20, 2011.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks Chef, I have a '08 Fender Jazz with Lollar pup's in it and I love it, probably the best sounding and playing Jazz I've ever played and it's a keeper..So I'm still on the fence about trading my Duck Dunn for the JB-2, I like a nice warm sound rather than a clanky sound...

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    It took me about 15 minutes to swap/solder new pups in.
    No biggie if you love the bass for all other reasons.

3. Hmm. Can this work in passive?

4. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Yes

5. In response to your middle paragraph... They LOOK like the original p or j, but they don't sound the slightest bit similar. I'd have to agree with you that the reason there are less JBs on the used market is because they're pretty new. I'd also have to +1 the general consensus that the L2500 is the way to go for versatility.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The SB model isn't all that new, and goes back to 1985 or so.

7. my sb-2 is the only bass i can play.. it's a 1 trick pony tho

8. In terms of versatile electronics, the 2k and 2500 are probably the way to go. I enjoy the distance between the single mfd and the neck on my 1500, it gives me a different range of sounds just by moving my right hand and has been great at all genres I have used it in. My 2500 can get a lot of different tones, but in most settings I find that the double mfd's overshadow the subtleties of different playing styles.

Just my experience...

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree the L-2x00 basses are the most versatile, but let's not get all "one trick pony" about the SB-2. By manipulating the two volume knobs, you can get a wide array of sounds that can be useful for lots of material. Plus, the split-coil has massive output and a more full-range response than a regular p-bass pickup, and is thus more versatile IMO. It can do the P-bass thing, but cover other stuff as well. I'll add that the split-coil tone is one the L-2x00 can't do, but the neck humbucker gets you into the neighborhood.

(You know where this is going...get both! :D)

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    "get both"

totally;)

11. So true, that. The SB-2 is the underestimated member of the G&L family. I've even convincingly slapped a tune with one on a gig when I didn't have a choice.

You can make it happen with a SB-2 if you know what you are doing with it.

You can also ripp people's heads off with the tone. Those things can be aggressive.

John

12. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    Every time I play my l2000 I am really happy. They are good basses...built well and sound great IMO....and very versitile! You can be able to find one on the used market for under 750 sometimes which is a lot of bass for the buck! Good luck!

13. Agreed. The L2k has a wide variety of tones and is very versatile, but the SB-2 is no slouch.

14. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    +1

15. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Just bought an L-2000. Good God, after having only a Fender P-bass for the last 10 months I am >utterly< amazed at the versatility of this thing. Wow - talk about sound options.....

Chris