What's the most "vintage" sounding all tube head???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Aug 19, 2005.

1. hello!
    what's in your opinion the most "old school" sounding Tube Head, which is still available yet.
    Until now I only had the chance to try an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro and it didn't sound very tubey to me.
    I've also heard some people here talking that there are "rather modern" tube amps and classic old school ones.

Lately I've been listening to some old King Crimson LPs (Red, Lark's Tongues in Aspic) and I was so impressed of the bass sound, especially the distorted parts sounded so good.
    If somebody knows this albums... this would be the sound I expect of an all tube head.
    so.. my 2nd question is: what all tube heads gives me the best sound when playing distorted. A big midrange is the key I expect... :bassist:

thanks & bye!
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd have to say a peavey 400 classic.

Thats just one of the older vintage tube heads that I'm familiar with, either that or an old ampeg?

3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Modern heads don't sound "vintage" because they aren't. Check into a 70's SVT, Marshall Major, the aforementioned Peavey, Hiwatt DR 203 (which Wetton was using when I saw him), Orange (Matamp) or something along those lines.

I know 70's SVTs are expensive, but if you maintain it, it will rock on indefinitely. I've been playng through one for over 20 years and it still brings a smile to my face.
  4. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The wonderful thing about vintage amps is that if you take good care of them, they'll never go down in value. I think of buying amps as more of an investment than an expense. So do it the right way, and buy an actual vintage amp, instead of buying something modern that can only attempt to attain the sound you're really after. And then take care of that amp with your LIFE!
  5. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE