Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the most well liked bass among TBers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm not asking what you think is the best bass, but what bass seems to get the highest rate of approval here in the forums. To me, it's looking like Sadowsky.

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    its hard to find someone utter a bad word about a jazz bass, and id guess alot more people have some sort of fender jazz bass than have sadowskys. I think stingrays and sterlings are pretty popular but maybe thats just cuz i have one:)

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Definitely Sadowsky in my opinion.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the best answer is Jazz style bass. That covers everything from SX to Sadowsky. Next would probably be Musicman Stingrays, P-basses, Rics, Laklands, then maybe Bongos.

5. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    What's the most well liked bass among TBers?

Fender--from threads i have read and seen Fender is still top of the list. And the most excepted bass.

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I was thinking more brand name than style (J, P, etc.). I don't think it has to be a can of worms because it's not really a question of what is "best." It's actually quite a subjective question.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Two words:

Bong

Go

8. Sadowsky.

Every single post, at some point, has the 'dowsky bomb dropped.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Jazz, even though my current fav is an Alebic Series 1. I've got a Jazz, just in case.

10. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    [​IMG]

No one would utter a bad word about Squire... although I have never owned one... I am really gassing for one, I hear they are better then Fenders! Never heard of Sadowsky... :rolleyes:

11. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I've been on this forum for like...a month maybe? And there's never a thread with out shadowsky in it. I've never heard of them before TB. I still like sterlings and stingrays best, followed by P-bass's.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    That's "this month"...come back in a few months and it will be something else...it used to be Warwicks back when I joined up here and it's been different every month or so.

Nothing against Roger or his basses...I love the man and his work but it's been pretty out of hand around here lately IMO.

Gee...now what's the most popular cab on Talkbass?? (this month). :spit:

13. Hard to find anyone here dissing the Geddy Lee Jazz.

14. To me, it seems like Bongo's, Sadowsky's, Lakland's, Geddy Lee's, and every now and then Benevente's, Nordstrand's, and some other higher end basses...

...andI love every word of it :D

~Ryan

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Wishbass, everyone loves Wishbass....

16. Fender Jazz/Precision
    Sadowsky
    Stingrays

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fenders. More people have them, more people love them. Nothing else is even close.

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I seem to have missed the Geddy Lee trip over here...clue me in...how many have put J-Retro's in them and have they fixed the unstable necks and painted on blocks?

I know a lot of people had neck problems on the early ones...fixed and if so how?

I've had a few in and always liked them...basswood bodies? I forget.

I had a few great conversations with Mark Kendrick at Fender about the GL's and it's unique neck profile based upon his physical measurements taken of Geddy's shaved down '72 (73?) Jazz neck.

To my knowledge, there is no other Fender bass neck that's ever been made with that exact profile. Fast huh??

Anyone steel wool the finish off the back of one of their GL necks?

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Is that a Zon in your avatar Brad???? :p

20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    What is the most well liked and what gets the most love are two different things. People that are busy playing the basses they love may simply not have as much time as those who are busy loving the basses they play. Few people have time for both. I think a relatively small number of people can greatly influence the "ebb and flow"(sp?)of what seems to be popular.
    If you've ever been in love you know what it feels like. You cannot fight the need to shout your feelings from the highest mountain top. Hey, we've all been there. When we find something we care greatly about we need to share it because we are absolutely certain that it is THAT GOOD and everyone else has to know about it.