What's the most you have/would consider paying for an electric bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Oct 31, 2005.

1. 500$

10 vote(s)
  2. 1000$

69 vote(s)
  3. 2500$

135 vote(s)
  4. 5000$

61 vote(s)
  5. 10000$

17 vote(s)
  6. 33,000$

1 vote(s)
  7. 50,000$

1 vote(s)
  8. 100,000$

7 vote(s)
  1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Someone resurected the 33,600 dollar conklin thread, and it got me thinking. If you feel it is a private matter don't answer, but what is the max you would pay for an electric bass? Not how much you can afford, but how much you think the max you would pay would be.

Personally, I have not much taste for fancy inlays, paintings, gold, or diamonds on my bass, but I do love incredible craftsmanship. I don't see how an electric bass can sound good enough to be worth more than 5 grand. I put my limit at 5,000 dollars.

As a sidenote, I think that the amount of work, as well as the quality of materiels and aging of wood make many doublebasses worth the extremely high amounts of money they command. Some prices reflect age and history, but mostly they reflect the quality and tonal beauty of the instrument. If I could afford it, and was a better musician(which I can't, and I am not)I would pay well over 50,000 dollars for a superior quality doublebass without any doubts that it would definatlely sound 50k good, and appreciate in value.

What would you pay......
  2. There's a ton of very good basses out there in the $1,200-$1,500 range (lakland, MM, Fender, etc.). Most really nice custom boutique basses can be had for between $2,800 and $3,500 (Sadowsky basic NYC and Metro, Lakland, Stambaugh, Drozd, Skjold, MTD, Roscoe, etc..) If you really want to go nuts with ridiculous wood, extreme multilam necks, etc., then $4,000-$5,500 tops.

There are a few 'name brand' boutique basses that command a 'name brand' upcharge (Fodera, Sadowsky NYC, Alembic come to mind)... i.e., they cost more per other 'similar' basses due to their popularity (or the owners would say their 'magic qualities', design, etc.).

So.... unless you are brand-name driven... you should be able to get a 'dream bass' right around $3K, or a very good bass for significantly under that.

Anything more than around $5K is silly, IMO.
  3. Personally I don't think I could ever justify paying more than $2500 for a single bass. That's just me because I'm just an amateur bassist. I play in my room and with my band. My Warwick Corvette STD 5-string that I have right now more than fills my needs for what I do. It's sexy, has a great tone (IMO), and wasn't backbreaking to get. I got it new for $1200 (if I remember correctly). But if I got what I reallllly wanted (Thumb BO or NT, still unsure which), I would have paid a bit more. :) To wrap this up, $2500 is a nice generous spot to draw the line in my opinion.
  4. I'd say about $7000 abcolute max, since there was no 7k I went with 5k. 10k is right out in my opinion.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The most I've paid was $US2k, but that was secondhand.

If I had the cash spare, a Status Kingbass or a Sei at around $US3k is about all that interests me, new.

More than happy with what I have at the moment though.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I picked $2500, which is what I would pay if I had all bills caught up, and good savings in the bank. Even then, $1500 may be more realistic given that I am a rank amatuer who has never made more than $50 playing bass. Either way, there are great basses that can be had for $250, if you know what to look for and $800 can get you a jewel. I don't begrudge anybody a high end bass, i just know it isn't necessary to play high quality music.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Dont know what my limit would be. So far the most I've paid for a bass I gigged with was $5000. I neckthrough Fodera that I kept about a month. The most I paid overall was $6800 for a '56 precision which I sold a year later for $8500

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If I was a touring pro, I'd probably spend in the $2500 range max. Since I am not a touring pro but a lowly weekend warrior, I'd spend no more than $1000-$1500. I know some instruments are worth it but I feel you can get a really nice bass for $1k-$1.5k and spend about the same for a nice rig! Just my opinion.
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    $6,362.53 USD.

Anymore than that is just rediculous IMO...
  10. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio

Hey Ken ,

Thanks for mentioning me with such luminaries > I do want you to know that I have two Models of Five strings that are 1725.00 and 2100.00 . They are the Stage and Pro Series . This is 25% off retail which my dealers sell them at .

Just an FYI :D

11. My limits about $5000, I can't believe someone clicked on $100,000 :eek:
  12. Hm.

Probably $2k and even that is stretching it.

If I spend more on a bass than I would on my wife, then that's a problem.
  13. thats why i'm stocking up on all the gear i'm GAS'n for now while i'm young and single. :)
  14. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Most I've ever paid was whatever I paid for my Fodera Yin/Yang 4, right around the $6k mark.

Would I do it again, not likely.

Its worth as a bass is not equivalent to its work as handcrafted art - not that it's a bad bass at all, mind you, but its high cost is largely due to the cutting and fitting of the woods and inlay together to make the visual statement it does - in exactly the same way Conklin's melt-tops do.

My most-used bass to date (my Modulus Q6) cost half that (still not cheap at 3k, but by comparison...) and is my #1 for actual usage in studio and stage situations.
  15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Right now I wouldn't go any higher than $2500 for a bass I would gig with ..... for $2500 (well, maybe +/- a little ;) ) I can get an unbelievably sweet custom bass from FBB that will do a great job for me.

Are other basses worth more? No doubt about it, but for a gigging bass that'd be my max (well really, $2500-$3000).

I've paid much more than that for a DB, though ....... :cool:
  16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Believe it or not, the most I've paid for a single bass is less than $900. But I've done some two for one trades, and trade plus cash deals as well. For the foreseeable future I can't imagine spending more than $3K on a bass, and would probably aim for much less. My philosophy at this point is...if something comes in, something goes out.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I think Jammadave said it best. What a bass guitar is worth as a piece of art as opposed to an actual playing instrument, are two different things. I doubt if anything that makes a bass actually play better is will run more than $2500 (maybe $3000 if we are talking about carbon fiber or other space age materials.)
  18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have paid up to $2,600. The bass I currently have was $350. I put another $300 in Bartolini preamp and pups in and for under $700 I have a great bass.

With the quality of inexpensive new and the availability of used, I don't think I would ever pay more than $1,00 and more likely $750 again for a bass. At thi spoint in my life and "career" it simply isn't practical and no one I play with or for knows any different.
  19. $2,600 is the most I've ever paid for a bass. Most of my basses now are in the low $2k range. I guess I would be willing to go up to $3,500, but that would have to be a pretty special bass.