What's the name of this latin rhythm???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    David Bowie's Man Who Sold the World, specifically the bass line from 0:25 to 0:51 from the youtube vid below.

I've tried googling samba, bossa nova, rhumba and whetever else I've run across from those searches but can't nail it down and it's bugging me.

Somebody help clear this up please!

2. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    If I had to put a name on it, I would say a Tango.
    But I'm no pro in latin rhythm!

3. I wouldn't classify it as being authentic...I'd label it as a cross between a cha and a mambo, but that's speaking more to the percussion than the bass.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The bass line doesn't seem to be any of those mentioned so far - at least, not in a traditional way.

Most of what gives that section a Latin feel is a fairly standard guiro (scraper) pattern and it's often heard as just one element in clave, cha-cha, bossa... but the Bowie track doesn't really fit any of those descriptions.

(reversed)

Can anybody else elaborate further? I'm no expert on Latin styles.

5. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    If you're trying to play it, I think if you tried playing a basic rock line (behind the beat) on every note, you'll get it. For classification purposes I think it's a hybrid. David Bowie fans chime in.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I see it as a slowed down merengue.

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'm not having trouble playing it, in fact I loved it so much I wanted to know what it was so I could search for traditional music with a similar feel. I guess it's not a true latin pattern but it sure has that feeling to me.
    Sway With Me is probably the closest (feeling) thing I've found (to me) but it's not really the same. Check it out...

Maybe it's best to just run with it and enjoy it for what it is ;)

8. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    very good comparison on the Dean Martin, although maybe even harmonically, I could see David Bowie listening to "Sway" on his parents record player and saying... "man who sold the world" only years later in a glam wave kinda way, (I just mashed together glam rock and new wave together).

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021