What's the name of this tool?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by icecycle66, May 1, 2012.

  1. icecycle66


    Feb 4, 2009
    I would put a picture, but I don't know what to search under. Let me try to describe, I know the luthiers know what this is.

    It is a wood working tool.

    It reminds me of a router, but isn't one you move with your hands. It seems like a router attached to the table and you move the wood around to cut instead of the tool.

    I know people use it to cut edges of peices of wood. Like, maybe its used for beveling.

    bah, that's a terrible description. I'm drawing a blank here. Can you guys help me out?
  2. EKinPNW

    EKinPNW Supporting Member

    Feb 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Sounds like you're talking about a router table. You can buy a special table that you attach a router to.
  3. Keano


    Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
  4. Router table:

    Possibly a pin router:
  5. dremy2006

    dremy2006 Supporting Member

    Aug 12, 2008
    Miami Gardens, Fl
    Pin router
  6. HaMMerHeD


    May 20, 2005
  7. Bruce Johnson

    Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The machine you're talking about is called a Shaper. Most cabinet shops have them and use them for cutting a contour shape along the edge of a board. It's basically a big flat cast iron table with a vertical spindle in the middle and a fence behind it. The spindle is usually 3-5 hp.

    Mounting a router under a table is a way to do some shaper-type operations in a smaller scale, using less-expensive router bits. Router tables are very popular with hobbyists and home shops.
  8. icecycle66


    Feb 4, 2009
    You guys are great, I knew you could do it.

    I was thinking of a wood shaper. Go figure, the thing that shapes wood is a wood shaper.

Share This Page