Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the name of those strings on fretless bass that feel smooth as silk?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 12, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    My friend has a fretless bass and I want his strings! It came with his fretless. The strings don't feel like metal. They're smooth as silk when you slide your fingers on them. He told me the name but I forgot and he's in a meeting at work!

It's almost lunch and I want to run out and buy them at lunch time but I don't know the name! I think he said flatwound but I'm not sure..... :confused:

2. jsbach1982

jsbach1982

Feb 11, 2005
    Denton, TX
    Yes, flatwounds. AKA 'flats'.

-Jono

3. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I love those things! I gotta get some! Thanks!!!

4. They could be nylon tapewounds. they certainly don't feel like metal (they aren't on the surface), and are smoother still.

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    What is the difference between nylon tapewounds vs. flatwounds sound wise?

6. I can't say I've ever A/B'd them on a fretless, or on anything else for that matter! I just sorta had a gut feeling that I wanted tapewounds on mine, so I went for them! I wasn't disappointed.

7. tapewounds tone is generally very round with little to no growl or bite...very pleasant sounding and great for mellow jazz and such...

flats still generally maintain that little bit of "metallic" characteristic that gives that "bite" and growl...

I have 4 basses...and they are strung as such

fretted PJ ...round wounds
    fretted P ...flat wounds
    fretted semi-acoustic ...nylon tape
    fretless ...nylon tape (I LOVE the sound of these strings on fretless...LOVE IT)

My nylon tapes are made by LaBella...

8. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I got the flats and they are the best thing I bought besides the bass itself!

9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Cool! Flats are great. What kind did you get?

10. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Roto sound jazz bass 77

11. Rotosound trubass have a black nylon wrap. They sound almost upright acoustic.

12. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Were the flatwounds what you were originally looking for in your first post then?

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    ZOMBIE THREAD!