1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the name of your band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jaysun, Apr 12, 2006.

1. jaysun

jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    i know this is something that many bands struggle wiht for a long time---comign up wiht a good name.

often you come up wiht one that you like and then 3 months later, you don't like it anymore.

Anyhow, im always interested in peoples cool and dumb band names. and, its always good to have a story behind your choice in name.

let me start. my bands name is "Sound Curfew". kinda ironic but heres how we got it.

my bands name was "undertaken" when i joined the bnad. i always thought that was a dumb name. anyhow, last year at Creation East music festival, we are going through the list of bands to play. the last show is 11:00pm. and 1:00am is the sound curfew. well, as a joke, i say "ooo, lets go see sound curfew at 1:00!" well our sometimes dumb lead singer says, o sweet. are they good?

i laugh and tel him why he is so dumb, and he decides that shoudl be our new band name.

so when my band makes it to Creation and we play at 4:00, im guessing there are gonna be some confused people.

ok your turn.

2. Alright, I'll play.

I'm currently in the secnd generation of a band. The first time round saw me on rythym g**t*r and the singer on bass. After one of our first practices together we're in the pub, along with my girl and the drummer's girl. Those two are chatting away and my lady is complaining about these odd bodies she has to deal with at work who are all called 'The Worshipful Copanny of...' (something). Overhearing this the drummer says "we should be The Worshipful Company of Rock!", and it just stuck.

So, after the shuffle, me now on bass and the singer just singing, me, the guitarist, and the drummer, are in the pub. We figure we should have a new name and so we start throwing some ideas around. Now, the singer (Louis) is a christian, and the guitarist comes out with "lets call ourselves Louis and the Heathans, that'll really wind him up". When we tell the singer, rather than throwing things, he laughs his arse off, so it stuck. There you go.

Cheers

3. Nelson Mandela.

While brainstorming for a name, our cellist was trying to think of names of famous "nice" people, to sort of balance out the common practice of naming your hardcore/metal band after "mean" people (i.e. Ed Gein, Charles Bronson etc.) Our drummer suggested "Nelson Mandela" and that that was that. Not quite sure how I feel about it, it's a really good name. But problematic considering we're all white, and pretty well-off.

There were a bunch of other good names we came up with. The one I'm using with the violinist for our noise band is Kitten Surprise! Which is the name of our drummer's blog.

4. We are MOLA.

I don't know why.

5. Funkosaurus - i think it's cliche, but what little fans we have enjoy it

switched to The Infinity Brothers for a good week after my pre-calc teacher said it, but the audience vote leaned towards Funkosaurus

6. My cover band is called The Antics.
    One of our friends was drunk and laughed at our band's "stuff and antics" and it sorta stuck.

Original band is called "The Special Guests" because it looks kinda corny and cool when we headline and have other bands supporting the special guests rather than the other way round.

7. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    My band is called "Six Points to Nowhere"

It has no meaning. It was one of the names on the list the guitarist and I came up with. We all just went "it works for me" and that's the name.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Black Ice.

My son and I were talking about a firewall for computers, and this name came up. Suggested it to the band and it stuck.

9. The Stone Shades.

I wasn't there, but it was something about the Rolling Stones and window shades. :D

10. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    DREAMCATCHER, is the name of our band, it seems to work for us.

But what I thought was a better name for a band is one I came up with " Taste's Like Chicken".

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Aumerle

12. What happened to At the Moment?

My band hasnt yet decided on a name, but here are some of our choices.

-Cell
    -Pavillion of Four
    -Detoxed Silence
    -Cold Summer

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    New guitarist, (slightly) new style, new name.

14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Don't have a band, but if I did, it would either be:

-Zenith
    -Oblivion
    -Spellcheck

The first 2 would be metal, spellcheck I just thought of after reading the OP, and I don't know what it would be for. It's not that good anyway. :meh:

15. There I think is already a band named Oblivion, black metal if I rember correctly...

16. Park City

It's where our guitarist got his jeep from. We no longer exist though.

17. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Five Star Loser.

It refers to the demands that the music industry places on musicians: The easiest way to succeed is to become awesome at SUCKING.

Many people work their tails off to get properly educated in music, striving for perfection on their instrument.

However, a large percentage of the best-selling artists/biggest household names were and are pretty simplistic and many really don't get beyond power chords and cliche-flavored lyrics.

Five Star Loser is the answer to the fact that we already tried option number one. And the scary thing is, it's working: None of my jazz groups ever played outside of the state. Five Star Loser tours the world. Go figure.

18. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Given the only group I have time for is the Church group I play with weekly, my creative release is in my one man bass and vocals only "band", sorta unblack/doom in nature, which I've called Last Darkness (I've been describing this thing for at least a month previous). I wanted a name which would somewhat describe what I want to accomplish with the project, and after I named the project that which I described, the name has stuck and the project feels like it has life now, though again it's not a fame seeker.

19. jaysun

jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    i figure out shakespeare sonnets are a great place to search for emo band names.

the chiodos did a whole album basing their lyrics on shakespeare plays!

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    King Bowman, my singer's name is Ben Bowman... not too hard to figure out. :D

It was actually the lead guitarists idea, the name was decided before I joined. It's OK because Ben isn't an ego driven kinda cat, so the name is kinda funny.

They had a toss up between King Bowman and Smoke Wizard... we do play stoner rock, Smoke Wizard might have been a bit too.... to the point. :D