Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the next best thing to a 75 RI Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, Aug 6, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I love this bass (first J I've really liked), but it's out of my price range. Any suggestions on cheaper passive alternatives? I like that aggressive, yet vintage sound. How are those MIJ 75 reissues that pop up on Ebay all the time?

2. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Bino,

I don't know of any exact replicas(other than Fender's) of the 75 Jazz RI. But, Dillion makes a 'Geddy Lee' model that may interest you? I think their about $350 or so new, so maybe you could get a good deal on a used one?

JP1

http://www.dillionguitars.com/bass/electric/DLB80/index.html

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Or look for a used MIA 75 reissue. Seems like they go for about $800-$900 used...

Might still be out of your range though....

Might also try a Fender Geddy Lee. It's basically a 75 RI, but it's made in japan, and I think they run like $500 bucks or so...

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Could always try the mexican 62 RI jazz bass by fender cost about half or even less than that. I've got one and I love it I actually bought it when I plyed it and both a 75RI. Yes the 75 is better and possibly the nicest jazz i've ever played but is it worth twice as much as the 62 hmmm I don't think so I love my mexican jazz.

Also have a look at the geddy lee there amazing basses, so i'm told.

Hope this helps

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    The next best thing to a 75 RI is [​IMG]

Sorry... Couldn't resist.

6. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    LMAO!! That's awesome! :)

7. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Thank You ;)

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    My like-new MIA 75 RI that I bought from Watchthechord arrived today and it is every bit the sweetest Jazz bass.

I owned a MIJ version for a while, and while it was a top notch bass for the $$$, you really get your money's worth with the MIA. I've owned lots of Jazzes and this one seems to have more work put into it from the factory than any other I've owned--especially the gloss neck finish, the binding, and the excellent fretwork....not something one usually associates with Fender. I figure, I can buy a MIJ for $600 and put $200 in setup and fretwork into it, or I could have an MIA that doesn't need it. Same money spent either way, plus the MIA has better quality pickups.

Not 100% crazy about the stock bridge though. I don't mind vintage bridges, but not having tracks for the saddles strikes me as taking the old-school thing a weensy bit too far. Would tracks really ruin the image, considering what's gained?

I've got the RI set up with .016" relief and action from 3/64ths on G to 4/64ths on E and there ain't nothing buzzing. I plan on taking it lower in a week or so once everything settles in. Don't think I ever got the MIJ that low.

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    What about a marcus miller? MIJ, 3-bolt neck, fender pre-amp, passive/active switch.... i love mine. all for around 750$. Its my baby, and i highly reccomend it.

10. I'll suggest this, or the Geddy Lee sig.

Although doesn't the MM sig have a sadowsky pre in it?

11. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Lets not get into the Pre amp conversation this is what happened its a barolini pre amp installed by Roger Sadowsky

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Whoa!
    There is a 62RI MIM bass? If you are talking about the 60's classic jazz then that's something different. While that's a nice bass it doesn't hold a candle to a MIA 75RI jazz!

As far as the Marcus Miller jazzbass, you will get the look pretty much but not the sound. Even in passive mode the MM bass does not sound like the 75RI bass. The MM bass is more Hi Fi sounding and has no tone control in passive mode!,

The Geddy Lee jazz sounds nice but not like a 75RI bass. the rear pup on a Geddy bass is closer to the neck pup than the 75RI and believe me it does make a difference.

13. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    the cheaper alternative would be a japanese reissue.

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    2 of them?

15. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    So the bridge pickup place does make a difference, huh? That point aside, would simply getting an ash body / maple fb with vintage pickups bring it close? Was there anything special or different about the pickups in those 75's? How about an G&L Tribute L2000? Do you all think one of those or a used USA come close?

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes it makes a difference, I own a bunch of jazz basses (check my profile) and have two ash bodied/maple necked basses. One is a Marcus Miller and the other is a 2000 standard MIA jazz with Lindy Fralins in it. When this bass was stock it sounded nowhere near my 75RI with by the way has a rosewood neck (the bass is just as bright sounding). If you think pup placement doesn't matter just look at the P-bass compared to the jazz, no matter what you do they won't sound alike!

17. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan

No, Marcus Millers ACTUAL 75 has a bartolini preamp installed by sadowsky. The 4-string mmjb has a fender preamp, designed to emulate that. Not the best preamp ever, but still, not to shabby. Plus, being able to kick into passive is really nice.

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Actually the MM bass is more like a 77,78 not a 75.

19. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I just found a review of these in an old Bass Player. Forgot all about them. I'm not entirely hip to active electronics, but I've never played around with them much either. And they do have an active/passive switch. So what's the word on the KSD Proto-J's? I think they run about $650 new which is in my league.