1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the next big trend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chanson, Jun 7, 2019.

1. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Hey all, I've noticed since I started playing bass again last year that there is a lot of hype around fanned fret and headless basses...sometimes even both at the same time! A lot of manufacturers seem to be throwing their hats in the ring for what seems to me like the current trend. Certainly neither of these are new designs, but in certain circles of music they seem pretty ubiquitous at the moment and are pretty hard to ignore.

The point of this post isnt to criticize, or speak poorly about anyone who makes or owns a bass in this category, but instead to discuss what the "next big thing" might be. What is the next hype going to be around in bass design in say 5 or 10 years? Any predictions?

2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Fanned fret seems to be a niche product. IMO the big things on the horizon for the bass players is in amps and cabs. The big move was neo and D class. These things are only going to get better over time. In 70 years the bass players that are left will still be playing Jazz and P basses but their amps will be making them sound even better than they do today.

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I think the next big thing will be a customer focus on quality at lower prices. The incoming generations care less about brand names and status, and more about cost and quality. Innovation will become even less important, while good construction will be king.

That all being said, I would also guess that many Fenders and a select few other brands’ older instruments will retain value, but the next class of basses will be marketed much differently than what we’re currently used to.

4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    The fanned frets are a byproduct of the actual main feature: the even tension across the strings from the multi scale. That's a real development (sort of, harps and pianos have been doing it forever) rather than just a fad.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Plastics.

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Graphene?

Amps and cabs that weigh less than a tin of beans. A bass that weighs less than a pack of cigaretteds?

7. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    3D printed custom designs... from body to pickups to frets and scale length. Total customization.

8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I'm waiting for a pedal that effectively produces a believable, realistic upright sound with an electric bass

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Headless hype? Really? I've been playing Steinbergers for 30 years now and they've been around for 40. Any hype came and went in the 1980s.

FWIW the headless aspect is really of zero interest to me, the sound and playability are what I care about.

Davbassdude, pcake, whero and 5 others like this.
  10. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Check out the post about the Boax One guitar. The video is 75% boring but the concept is quite something.

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I've been experimenting with the Line 6 HX and some Acoustic IRs from 3 Sigma Audio. It gets close if you use a string mute and play appropriately.

dkelley likes this.
  12. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Headless basses give me the willies. :bassist:

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Next big trend will be the power amp moving from the head to the cabinet. We'll use power cabs that have built-in DSP capabilities, voicing, protection, HPF, etc and the preamp will largely move to the pedalboard. With more band's using full range PA systems even in small bar gigs, we'll need to take amps to fewer gigs. This is already happening, but I think it will accelerate. On the instrument side, I think that roasted maple will become far more common in even lower end basses.

14. chanson

Check out brands like Kiesel and Strandberg. Their headless instruments are really popular among a lot of modern metal artists.

alaskaleftybass and TonyP- like this.
  15. chanson

A bit of semantics, but I think you know what I mean. Fanned fret basses are increasing in popularity, whether it is a functional advantage or not. Whether it will continue to be as popular as it is now is to be determined.

When I say fad, I mean there is an increased interest or hype around them. Which isnt a bad thing. Hype meaning general excitment or interest, not necessarily a mindless enthusiasm.

16. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    Short scale basses. They’ve been around for a while, but they seem to be gaining popularity.
    The next significant development could be in strings; even tension and tone across the strings, removing the need for fanned frets.

17. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    the dual precision configuration

mikewalker and Nunovsky like this.
  18. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    and solid body basses with holes in them

19. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Smaller, smaller, smaller (and lighter)
    Amps and sound reinforcement.

20. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hopefully the next big trend will be audiences actually paying attention to the band and dancing rather that capturing a few snaps of the group then going back to social media while at the bar.

Oh, new in gear? Probably a move towards boutique builders offering instruments at multiple price points and an eventual resurgence in the big ‘ol iron and tubes bass amps (‘cause nostalgia).

GlassToMouth, dmt, ed morgan and 9 others like this.