1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the next big trend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chanson, Jun 7, 2019.

1. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Similar, but leveraging current technology.

2. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    There might be some younger folks who are actual musicians and are looking for the nice, authentic gear, but I simply don't see the majority of kids giving a single care about it.

Heck, look at the majority of musical artists on Saturday Night Live these days -- those yo-yos are just up there pantomiming. Most of the younger folks' music these days is generated with computers, sequencers and drum machines. Aside from voice, most of the sounds in today's music aren't even live when they're "performed."

Sign of the times, sure... but just because it's on the buffet doesn't mean I have to put it on my plate. :smug:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    alaskaleftybass likes this.
  3. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I haven’t watched TV since 2003, so I’ll have to take your word on SNL.

Luigir, IamGroot and Wisebass like this.
  4. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Maybe Roland will actually make a V Bass that is an entirely synthesized bass so to eliminate the use of wood.

Imagine owning an instrument that could fully cop a 1960’s P bass or better yet...a 1960s Stack knob Jazz?

It would definitely be a more sustainable product as the world we live in is focused so much on green products and reversing global warming. But I guess if it’s made of plastic...maybe not so much.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  5. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    That warehouse reminds me of why I quit my engineering job lol!

6. It would be nice if people stopped consuming music and went back to listening to it instead.

Which a lot of people will.

I think there will be no more big trends. Just lots of little ones more widely available.

7. The internet is the next big thing. Did you know www.classmates.com can reunite you with your graduating class?

Luigir, Adam Wright and Low84 like this.
  8. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I think that with the internet enabling everyone to exist in their own personalized echo chamber it’ll be difficult to achieve the critical mass required for large trends.

9. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    Better than headless willies.

I'll let myself out...

packhowitzer and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  10. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    basses you play with your mind that beam sound directly into the brains of the audience

upload_2019-6-9_0-34-27.

Low84, Nashrakh and alaskaleftybass like this.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Bass Bench: Designing a 24-string Bass | Premier Guitar

[​IMG]

Luigir likes this.
  12. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Havent read thread but...

Bass modeling. Like my studio40 amp but what if my bass had built in settings beyond what amp can do or beyond its tone knobs.

Or adjustable necks. Go from long scale to med to short to micro.

13. pingvuiini

pingvuiini

Feb 2, 2009
    Antarctica
    I am most probably biased, but solidbody uke basses will gain more traction.
    GoldToneMicroBass01.

14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    This is one of the best posts I've seen recently and except for a few yuk yuk's most answers have been insightful...

I like this idea a lot. I've been wanting to upgrade one of my basses for a while-- new pickups and a different set of volume and tone controls. But with the soldering and complexity I've avoided going into that project. EMG now offers a set of bass pickups, a full tone harness that's snap-together, and instructions on how to assemble the entire kit. That is where I hope the industry is going. I wish Bartolini would, anyway.

Agreed. They don't even really play the instruments anymore. Just watch their hands 'pretending' to do chord changes..

Very cool looking bass. I think the bass uke's time is coming. As long as it doesn't play an octave higher it will be usable. Nice looking uke by the way! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    JRA, Low84, Wisebass and 1 other person like this.
  15. Stringly

Stringly

May 27, 2019
    Built in D.I.?

16. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi twofer :)

I would love to see more recycling!!! (including wood)

cheap basses - Copie.

greetings

Wise(b)ass

JRA and two fingers like this.
  17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Wasn't there one like that already? I know someone who plays a Variax guitar, does a good job at it. Not quite the real thing, but close enough!

However, watch out for those who say you can make a jazz with rounds sound like a P with flats with a single turn of the tone knob. Because "flats just sound like dead rounds anyway" and stuff.

18. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Brilliant! Nothing to load out at the end of the night. Just a post gig feast.

Then have it reconstituted back into gear after you get home and unload the "media" into a special 3D printer.

No longer will you have to make up excuses as to why your band sounds like poopie.

19. Rehearsals over the internet using a souped up mixer.

Now you CAN control the guitarists volume. You just dial him down in your computers mix.

And you could have a metronome app running on screen showing how the bands tempo holds.
    And you can record it and listen to the playback. And find out how bad you guys suck when the volume isnt there to pinch your eardrums closed.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Nashrakh likes this.
  20. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    From a builder's perspective:

Current trends that I can see:

-Headless and/or fan-fret: Kiesel, Strandberg etc.
    This IMO is mostly following the recent resurgence in popularity of these option in the guitar world,
    mostly driven by the technical metal/rock scene (Animals as Leaders, Periphery etc.)
    However, these features do result in meaningful differences in sound, playability etc. so
    it's entirely possible that they may persist. Headless already had a go-round in the '80s and that
    didn't necessarily last in the main marketplace, so it remains to be seen if it will be more durable this time.

-Short scale passives: Mustang-style and EB-style basses, along with modern variations on the theme (Serek, etc.)
    Cool, easy to play, and tonally/physically a very different beast than most people's main players.
    This is a great selling point for dealers, since these are a very easy sell as a second instrument to complement a P or J.

As for future trends...well, I'm no fortune teller, but I'll take some guesses:

-Composite materials: Modulus broke this ground, but the tech has become more widely understood, and some
    companies are innovating and producing cool non-wood guitars with excellent results (Emerald, Aristedes, etc.)
    This will be driven both by the tech appeal of whiz-bang manufacturing and materials, and by the diminishing supplies
    and increasing environmental impact of traditional hardwoods. Composites like Rocklite, Blackwood Tek etc. are already
    establishing themselves in the acoustic guitar market. Expect more of those for basses as well.

-Agreeing with a post above, torrefaction will become more common. It makes stable parts that will likely require less warranty work,
    and has a marketing value as well. Plus, it can be integrated into existing manufacturing without changing the workflow at all, which
    is a big (BIG) deal for people producing instruments at any volume.

I don't expect to see much in the way of radically new pickup or preamp technologies (EDIT: I actually DO expect to see them, but don't
    necessarily expect them to really disrupt much.) Anything really radical would probably require changes in the downstream signal chain
    (pedals, amps, etc.) and most of our ideas of what sounds "good" have been built by old technology anyway.
    I'm extremely interested in the new Fishman Fluence pickups, since they have great R&D and the pickups are actually built differently
    from the conventional design.

Modeling and signal processing is the obvious big frontier, and the horsepower available now (let alone in 2-3 years) means that in the
    near future it will be reasonable to suppose that you could buy plug-ins that will model just about any amp, pickup, and even bass with
    reasonable accuracy. The D-Tar Mama Bear preamp did it with acoustics about 8 years ago, and the Line6 guitar was pretty good, if not perfect.
    However - I don't think this will stop people from owning multiple basses, mostly because the physical interface with an instrument is a big part
    of the experience of playing, and feeds into what/how you play - I would play very differently on a 30" Mustang than on my 35" scale Modulus, for example.
    Different note choices, note durations, etc., very much based on how it feels, weighs, and even looks. (Be honest - if you had a purple sparkle bass with LED lights in the fretboard, don't you think you might play a bit differently than if you were playing a Hofner? I would.)

I went to NAMM shows for years, and there is always a room full of people with "ground-breaking new ideas". Most of them don't make it to the larger market, and that's often because they're impractical or serving a tiny market. The fact is - MOST bass players' needs seem to be well-served by fairly conventional Fender-style basses, with the few minor improvements that have persisted over the last 30 years (better hardware, active preamps, low-noise pickups) and lighter weight amps. Until the needs change radically, the market will always have the easiest sell with products that continue to fill those traditional needs.

Cheers,
    Martin