Whats the nicest amp you guys played?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyKnoz, Feb 7, 2002.

1. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    what's the nicest amp you've played, as far as metal thatis...:cool:
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eden amp coupled with an Eden D-410XLT.
  3. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    EDEN500+ 2x Goliath3.
    But the diffrerence is done from Eden!It's the best ampli in the world.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Old-school metal: vintage Ampeg SVT head & 8x10 cab

New-school metal: my Modulus Quantum 5 through just about any pre into a Stewart 2.1 into SWR Goliath series cabinets.
  5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Mesa 400+ through Eden 410xlt + 118xl
  6. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    ampeg SVT, ampeg SVT 8x10. i think this setup can cover ANY type of music. i have played them and they sound incredible, and i will own them soon.
    i mean, is it just a coincidence that almost every show you go to or every video you see, there is a big ol ampeg 8x10 in the back? people choose it for a reason. why else are they chosen so often? many people dont like this cab because it has no horn. i think it souds great without a horn. in fact i accidentally blew the horn in my ampeg 410 HEN, and i like it better now because i get more of "the" ampeg sound. i know many people disagree, but i bet more people agree. my rig sounds good for metal, as well as all other music

ampeg svp pro
    mackie 1200
    ampeg 410HEN
    ampeg 15E

plenty of power, big fat sound. give it a try
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

SVT, hands down. Need more volume? Buy more SVTs.
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I tried out the Aggie all tube head at Basspalace and I must say it was earth shattering!
    Wish I could afford one,
    I also like my Eden as a close 2nd and my SVT 3rd!
  9. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Orange AD200B
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ampeg SVT4Pro through two SVT410HLF's. Handles any situation that I have been in with no problem, from metal to country and everything in between.
  11. drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Ashdown - I often play without even punching in the EQ section it's that good.

I used to borrow an old 1970's Sound City all valve/tube PA head and that was amazing - if you see one around BUY IT.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    even though i don't play metal the best rig i've ever played is my own rig. nothing else comes close.

though i'm sure with the IOD, all i'd have to do is turn up the drive knob and turn off the tweeters in my cabs and i'd get a great tone for whatever kind of "heavy music" i'd need.

but with the drive up until right before it starts clipping, and the tweeters up half way, it gets the best funk/jazz/fusion/r&b tone you could ever ask for :D

13. Best I've played -

Aguilar DB359 then Eden WT800.

I'm getting ready to go amp shopping with my tax refund. Considering what I'm willing to spend I imagine my next amp will be a used WT800. The tax fairy lands in a little less than two weeks so I'm watching eBay and bassgear closely.

So - Eden it is.

Unless I can find the Peavey Kilobass I'm looking for :D

14. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    It was a small, but very high-end Electro-Voice PA system.

• Countryman direct box
    • Mackie mixer
    • EV DMC1122X (crossover/time alignment/eq thingy for the DeltaMax 1122 mid/high cab)
    • EV DMC2181X (crossover etc. for the DeltaMax subwoofer)
    • Crest 8001 (Professional Series amp 1100w @ 4 ohms x2
    • Crest 4801 (Professional Series amp 300w @ 8 ohms x2)
    • Two (2) EV DMS-1122 (mid/high cabs with a 12" and a horn)
    • EV DMS-2181 (2x18 subwoofer)

Total cost at DEALER PRICES in 1992 was about $10,000.00!
    It would probably fit in a large car. It would easily go in a small pickup. I used to borrow this stuff from work and use it as a bass rig. :)

The EV DeltaMax stuff was the little brother of the MT speaker systems. That DeltaMax DMS-2181 sub I was using was the exact same thing as the MT-2 sub (MTL-2B) except for different flying hardware and different carpet covering. The MT-2 sub was exactly half of an MT-4 sub (MTL-4B) which had four 18" speakers! The MT systems were used on the biggest tours around at the time. That's what was used on the Mettallica/G'n'R tour. That's what AC/DC used, etc.
  15. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    The best actual bass rig I've tried was a couple of Bergantino cabs with I don't even remember what kind of head. I think they were the HT210 and HT212. I REALLY want to try an HT310.

Right now, I think my dream system is:
    • Two (2) Bergantino HT310 (3x10, 4ohms)
    • One (1) Carvin DCM2000 (700w x2 @ 4ohms) Or alternately, a Crest Professional Series or Pro II Series amp of about the same power (You won't find the Pro or Pro II at Mars! These are REAL professional amps.)
    • Some kind of studio-quality rackmount mic preamp (maybe a tube preamp) that is designed to take an instrument level signal without needing a direct box. I'm just finding out that there are quite a few of these out there.
    • NO bass amp.
    • NO bass preamp.
    • If I need a compressor, I'll get a real one and not some one-knob kiddie compressor that's built into a bass amp.
    • If I feel the need to shape my tone with eq, I'll get a fully parametric eq.
    • Et cetera.

But that's a lot more money than I got! :oops:
  16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a Kilobass that's in like new condition Allan. I know what you mean. It's a sweet head! God must have been smiling on me the day that I ran into that deal. I haven't tried a lot of amps but the Kilo would have to get my vote. It's a shame that Peavey discontinued it. :confused: IMO, the Firebass doesn't even come close to it! No disrepect intended to you Firebass owners. The Kilobass is just a whole lot better.
  17. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    In intimate settings the SWR Baby Blue II. What I use and love now is an SM400 with one or two Goliath Jrs. 2x10s. I double that whole stack if I need more volume. But the ultimate tone I'll never forget was two 2x15 Kustom cabinets with a Hiwatt !00 watt head. The bass of choice was an actual 57 Maple neck Precision. OH MY Creator!!
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    at Euphoria Studio's in midtown, Aguilar DB680 thru DB728 into a Bergantino 4x10 and matching Berg 1x15...

...holy mother...