Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the NICEST thing your drummer has said to you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dukeplaysbass, Jun 28, 2004.

1. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Here's mine: About two months ago, I started growing a "soul patch" (I have blond hair, so it started off kinda light!) About ten days into it, my drummer was the first person (other than my wife) to notice. He said, "If anyone in this band should have a soul patch, it's you!"

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Sorry, I'm not sure I've heard the term "soul patch" Hehe, Could you explain please? :rolleyes: :bag:

The nicest thing my drummer has ever said is, "man, I'm bad at bass. It's hader than it looks."

travis

3. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

A "soul" or "love patch" is a small patch of beard left growing under a guy's lower lip -- used to be mandatory facial hair for the most dangerous players in the tres-hip jazz and blues crowd (although now it seems to be coming back among people under 25....) At 35, I'm too old to be starting one(LOL!)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    drummer - "'Chuck, good lookin' out!"
    lead singer - "What did 'Chuck do?"
    drummer - "What you guys think are show moves, 'Chuck is actually telling me the tempo, cues, and such. He's all over the stage, but he never forgets to cue me in on time. I wish more bass players were like that."

I darn near cried, but then I remembered; rodents are too damned sexy to cry! I mean, look at me! Fur's all fluffy and whatnot. You want me, dontcha? Say it! SAY IT!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that he had the biggest amount of respect for me as a musician and as a person that tried to get the band leaders organized and in the best direction. said that the band has never been more organized.

I quit a week later due to the "wannabe Diva". she thinks she knows what she's doing - last I heard is that the band is falling apart....

sucks to be them...

i'm surprised he would say this about me.... i was always the first person to tell him that he needs to buy and practice with a metronome....

:D

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

during a fill in gig with local three man blues/rock band :

me : " i wish i knew your material better ..."
    drummer : " it's cool man , i can feel your groove , nice fat grooves... next round is on me ! " ... :cool: :D

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"You're playing too fast!!!' ..........(turned out, he was smoking reefer before we played/rehearsed :rolleyes: ).

"Play faster.........faster............FASTER!!!!!"

[​IMG]

8. nicest thing my drummer said to me....

"Can i buy you a beer?"

i was flabbergasted...

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My drummer recently told me that I really had a nice groove. He has played with some hot bass players in the past but he complained that they "fiddle farted" up the neck and the groove did not have any meat to it. I don't consider myself great in anyway, but that made me feel pretty good.

10. The nicest thing our drummers' said to me?

"That's OK dude, you can pay me for the Pizza later..." :D

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Nicest thing a drummer has said to me is 'I Quit'

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You're right, drummers care about your groove and if you are playing IN TIME and not changing the tempo. Nobody cares about fast show off licks...

I had a drummer friend tell me once that I was the best bass player he's played with. That almost brought a tear to my eye :bawl:

13. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    The drummer I always played everything with throughout high school (and a few non-school related things) told me before I left for college that I was her favourite bassist and these past 4 years have been great, and she'll really miss playing with me. I did cry... damnit, i already miss playing with her

14. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hmmmm
    Well he said somethin like your always groovin which is nice.He also said one time "free house" which always good to hear for 16 year olds

15. I was once called a genious, by a drummer. But this was during the days when I was taking 3 dexamphetamine tablets a day + lots of beer and bourbon + lots of stress/no sleep. So I've created a formula: 3 Dex per day + alcohol + stress - sleep = a genious with a bad liver. I think he was overly generous, but he wasnt on any sort of drugs so it still makes me warm and fuzzy.

16. By the way, the dexamphetamines were perscribed by a doctor for adhd.

17. Shoka42

Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    england
    Nicest thing?? um.. when he said "woah... your hand looks like a spider crawling all over the string neck"

Dumbass... oh, and when we played one of my songs and he said "that totally kicked ass"

18. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    The last drummer i had said to me before a gig one time: " Dude , I dig those leather pants."

19. "No offence man, but bass is lame."

its true, or course I quit that band, and now all I have is a drummer (a new one) so far, and he said:

"I want the best singer/guitarist we can get, we already got the best bass player."