Whats the opposite tone for a warwick ss2?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saibuster, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002

I've got a warwick ss2 and i absolutely love it.
    The thing is that soon i'll have to spare cash and im thinking about getting a new bass and i want something completely diffrent in tone then my ss2.
    Its not that i dont like it, i just want something different. a friend told me to check out wal, but i couldnt find one.

What do you guys think?

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    made in america standard P-bass with flats
  3. Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    Thanks for the answers.

The only problem is that i dont really like fenders. well, actualy , i hate em :) .

Im also looking for something different with exceptional tone (like the warwick)

Got any other ideas?
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why would one hate the bass chosen over every other for more recording sessions in entire world for all time, even now? HMMMMM?
  5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Modulus: I have 2 and 1 warwick, here's the stackup:

W:Fat neck, organic tone, heavy woods, 34" scale
    M: Slim neck, very processed clean tone, light, 35" scale.

Both are great basses, but in very different ways. Try one.
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    So you want something totally opposite the Warwick, but just like it? Hmm, that will be tough...

My question is, how do you hear your Warwick, and what sort of tone do you think would be totally opposite it? If you tell us that, maybe we can come up with something.

By the way, I've owned both the SS2 and the several Wals. They don't sound the same, but "completely different"? Nope--"completely different" is a P-bass with flats (or better yet, a Hofner Beatle Bass with flats!), to my ears.

7. Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    Ok , i think i didnt asked the right question :)

The thing i like about warwick is the amazing attack and punchiness, and the sweet harmonics that the bass adds to the fundamental harmonics of the note.

Im looking for bass that has the same characterization but with diffrent color.

I hope im clear now, and sorry for not puting it right on the first post.
  8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Ah, that makes it much clearer! Now we know where to start, anyway.

Hmm, off the top of my head, when I think of "amazing attack" and "harmonics" that sounds different from a Warwick, a compisite-necked bass like Curbow, Zon or Modulus comes to mind. Have you tried any of those?

9. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    You have to take into account your choice of body and neck woods. I have a couple Warwicks with different neck/body woods. My favorite is a Corvette w/wenge neck and swamp ash body. I would say the opposite tone from that is a maple neck/body P-bass I have. Very bright, brittle, and open sounding...whereas the Warwick is darker, girthier, and compressed. Its all in the wood.
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    but you said thet you hate fender and in your profile there is a fender jazz listed in your equipment and not the warwick?

you hate fender? that's a childish point of view. i said i hated fender when started. i hated them just because i wanted something different without knowing their sound and feel. now i play 80% my fender precision completely stock.
    if you hate fender, i'm sad to say that, but you have no hope understanding the electric bass. fender basses are the standard, where everything started. their sound fits any style and as said before the Precision is the ancestor of the electric bass. and many, many recordings have been done using fender basses . then if you have that warwick i assume that is because you like its sound, if you ask for the opposite kind of sound probally you won't like that bass.
  11. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Actually the Warwick SS1 is the Warwick for people who HATE The Warwick Sound...
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    A Rickenbacker.

I've been through 5 German Warwicks (only held onto 1), about 10 Musicmans, countless Fenders, custom basses, and a plethora of others. I am completely blown away by my brand new Ric 4003. I never imagined that happening.... and this is after more than 25 years of playing all those other basses.

A Ric doesn't sound or feel anything like a Warwick, and it sounds and feels freaking awesome.

If not a Ric, a Bongo will do the trick also. And do it very well. I prefer it to the all the Warwicks I've owned.

And if you want to not break the bank... Dan Electros are incredibly underrated basses that open up a whole new world of deep and dark tone.
  13. Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Stingray, maybe?

(Edit: sorry I didn't see the year ^^)
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Nor did I :). Bongos weren't even invented yet when he posted.